Which TomTom shall I get?

TomTom Model(s)
none as yet
Hello!

I'm so new, I don't even have a TomTom yet!

Last year I bought a new car, and the manufacturer mucked up my order so much, they offered me compensation in the form of a sat nav up to ?200. I still haven't claimed it, because I am confused by the array of sat navs out there! :confused:

I have been reading that some TomToms don't have a very large internal memory. Whereas I am unlikely to do a lot of European driving at the moment, I would like it to be straightforward when I do. I think I would prefer a 4.5" screen to a smaller one. My home computer is a Mac.

All suggestions welcome! :)

xbbc.

Hello!

Last year I bought a new car, and the manufacturer mucked up my order so much, they offered me compensation in the form of a sat nav up to ?200. I still haven't claimed it, because I am confused by the array of sat navs out there! :confused:

I have been reading that some TomToms don't have a very large internal memory. Whereas I am unlikely to do a lot of European driving at the moment, I would like it to be straightforward when I do. I think I would prefer a 4.5" screen to a smaller one. My home computer is a Mac.

xbbc.

Hi there,

It is good that you have a way to finance your SatNav - but beware that many of the car dealers who existed last year no longer exist now - hope yours is still up an running!

As far as I know, the 9xx series of Tom Tom are safe bets.
Say 940 - if you can still get one, or even a 950.

These are supposed to have lots of maps and so the internal memory is bigger by design.

Though I must say that even with my 940 which is supposed to have UK, European as well as US maps, to get the latest maps for UK and Europe, I have had to move the US maps onto a SDHC card (8 GB capacity) - but the same card also has lots of MP3s that I can play on my 940.

There are a couple of unhappy people who had bought 950 - on this forum - so my suggestion would be to get a 940.

They were available through Amazon - but I don't know the terms and conditions of gift coupon you seem to have - does it mean you have to buy from specific source or something? (May be Halfords or something similar?)

Happily, the manufacturer's are still in business! I don't have to buy from a specific source, which is good. I'm also wondering about TomTom for iPhone and whether or not that's a good alternative. Amazon are doing TomTom 940 for ?300!

Happily, the manufacturer's are still in business! I don't have to buy from a specific source, which is good. I'm also wondering about TomTom for iPhone and whether or not that's a good alternative. Amazon are doing TomTom 940 for ?300!

Surprising!

Its price has gone up!

I paid something like ?254 or so in May 2010 - but it was sold by 'Tophandys' or something like that - which was a Amazon Marketplace thing.

Clearly as it becomes less and less available the price seems to be going up!

Hello!

xbbc.

Look very closely at a Garmin. I've had major problems downloading voices and maps to TomTom. TomTom has very poor customer service and the last time I upgraded my Mac I thought I could just access the voices I purchased previously. Wrong. I needed to purchase them again.
Today I purchased a map of France and expected that I could just download it by clicking on the link TomTom provided after they billed my credit card. Wrong. The map wouldn't download and the error message referred me to the "website administrator for TomTom". Where in the blazes do I find out who is the website administrator for TomTom and why is that necessary?
I suspect the problem is that TomTom only works with Windows computers and I think it's a bad tradeoff to have to buy a Windows machine just to use TomTom. Garmin upgrades just fine with Mac

FYI:
On the BBC TV channel - probably in their 'Click' programme - there was a mention of Garmin having to recall many of their devices due to a battery fault. It did not give much details but just reminds me that Garmin is no angel either when compared to Tom Tom.

Thank you for all your comments! I still haven't chosen yet.

I'm not keen on having to buy the same add-ons again if I get a new Mac! Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

Tomorrow I will speak again to my contact at the car manufacturer's (not the dealer, the actual makers!).

I'll have to choose soon, or they might withdraw the offer!

Another option I'm wondering about is to get TomTom on my iPhone... :rolleyes:

Update...
They're paying the whole ?300 for the 940!
Arrives tomorrow.
Many thanks for your advice. :) :) :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question