whats the difference between xl v2 and iq xl

hi just about to buy a new tomtom but not shore which one
xl v2 or the iq xl i use it for work so need the best one but can't find out the difference
and also do they both have safety camara on them
hope someone can help
thanks
ian

Last edited:
Here's a link to the UK TomTom site for products available. Scroll down to the IQ XL products. I suspect the v2 probably refers to the Classic version but another UK member, mikealder, will hopefully see your query and be able to provide detailed info.

The XL range is fast becomming as confusing as the TomTom One range with loads of different devices being made available with different options:

One XL is often refered to as the "Classic" this has an SD card slot for memory expansion and can be connected to a mobile phone for a data connection to receive the Plus services - these are rather old now and becomming rather difficult to find - best avoided when compared to what the newer devices have to offer - capable device in its day, but its getting a little long in the tooth by now.

XL Classic (Note they have dropped the "One" bit from the name) - decent device but again this lacks some of the features I wouldn't want to be without these days, not something I would I recommend compared to the newer devices in the XL product range.

XL IQ now this is well worth looking at, IQ Routes offers routing based upon actual road speeds that users have submitted to TomTom (knowingly or unknowingly) but eitherway the routes the device offers will vary depending upon time of day and day of week and tend to be the same as those a person with local knowledge would use. I am a firm believer in what IQ Routes has to offer and this would be my number one choice of device at the moment were I to be in the market for a new nav device. (I recommended one of these to a mate of mine from work earlier today)

XL IQ Live, the same as the XL IQ but with this you get a SIM card fitted within the TomTom, its not for making phone calls but can be used to access the Live services such as HD Traffic, Google search and a few other toys. Great in use BUT it costs ?8 per month via subscription, if you do drive high mileage then HD Traffic and the XL IQ Live might be worth considering IF you are happy to pay the extra running costs - cracking device and well worth considering bearing in mind the cost issues.

Neither the XL IQ or the XL IQ Live have a bluetooth capability so connection to a mobile phone for handsfree isn't possible, but when you consider the cost differential between these devices and the Go products that can support Handsfree then this difference in cost can go a very long way in providing a quality car handsfree kit from someone like Parrot or iO-Play.

They all come supplied with a Safety Camera database installed, if you want a Speed Camera Database (notice the difference in terminology) that is second to none in the UK then you should consider alternates to the TomTom database. There are better databases that can run on the TomTom products with enhanced spoken warnings which detail the camera type and speed applicable to the portion of road you are approaching. Having the device actually say "Warning mobile camera ahead, speed limit is 60 miles per hour" for example is far better than a few simple bongs or bleeps from the device. If you want details on how to do this simply ask as it will run on any TomTom product including the latest devices.

A final word about about capacity, the newer units are only equipped with built in memory there is no memory card option to expand storage so if you purchase a UK&ROI (regional) model you cannot put the Western_Europe map on it at a later date, if you think you might want to use the device overseas get the European variant as that has a larger memory capacity and will accept the other maps for USA/ Europe/ Australia etc - Mike

Thank you Mike for the detailed response.

And to the OP:

Mike is being somewhat modest when suggesting there are better Speed Camera Databases to subscribe to without mentioning the one that users rave about at a site where Mike is a moderator. If interested, and for other Brits reading this thread, I suggest you take a peak at Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras

Ask a Question