What new feature GPS should have

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
I was thinking today that the next big step on portable GPS should be to have a Wifi connectivity with a integrated web browser...

while being able to surf the web when you find a wifi connection you will also be able to do update at the same time !

so what will be THE feature you will want to have (realistic) on your device ?

I was thinking today that the next big step on portable GPS should be to have a Wifi connectivity with a integrated web browser...

while being able to surf the web when you find a wifi connection you will also be able to do update at the same time !

so what will be THE feature you will want to have (realistic) on your device ?

WIFI, une tres bonne idee !

Wifi, a very good idea this way when the GPS doesnt recognize a POI, we could look it up on a on a 411 directory on WIFI!

I would like to have integrated in my GPS, a Sat radio.

But, what I would like to see the most, is an accurate mapping, my Tomtom 920 is always 600 feet off on Any of my POI...

Thanks
George

Last edited:
Dash GPS

I saw the product launch of Dash GPS (http://www.dash.net/) at the Web 2.0 conference this year. Their whole thing was that it is fully internet enabled through either WiFi or GPRS over Bluetooth.

Some of the functionality they showed was awesome. They demo'd being able to look up a bunch of houses on craigslist, push all the info to your GPS, and then as your pulled up to each house it would pull up the craigslist info on that particular house. They're claiming to have a robust API that lets anyone add widgets and whatnot to the device.

accurate maps. I know it's hard esp. since roads do change every year but the quality of the maps is the whole point of getting a navigation system. Every thing else (movie, wifi, games, slideshow, mp3 player) is just bonus :).

WIFI, une tres bonne idee !

Wifi, a very good idea this way when the GPS doesnt recognize a POI, we could look it up on a on a 411 directory on WIFI!

I
George

Wouldn't the wifi have a limited range? What is the wireless technology used by the phone companies, that would be better.
joey

The DashExpress has both a GSM radio and WiFi. When your on the road your using GSM when you get home it will connect through your WiFi.

I keep thinking about canceling my 920T order and waiting for a DashExpress. But then being the fact that it's a new company as well as a new GPS I think staying with the 920T for a year is a better way to go. I can get the DashExpress later and give the 920T to my wife.

Isn't technology fun:D

keep thinking about canceling my 920T order and waiting for a DashExpress. But then being the fact that it's a new company as well as a new GPS I think staying with the 920T for a year is a better way to go.

I agree. It looks pretty cool, but so did the Navigon 7100 based on all the early reports and the slick ads. But I was shocked when I actually played around with one and saw how unresponsive it was, not to mention the awkward user interface.

I think it's best to wait until actual products are shipping and you can try one out.

From all the complaints that I read on this forum and others, along with my own experience, I would have to say a route option for "stay on major or 4 lane highways as much as possible". Most of us are routed off main roads onto side roads, much too often in day to day routes.

I think TomTom needs to focus on improving GPS related features first and foremost. Improve accuracy as much as possible.

I have been using TomToms now for a year and have been thru several map upgrades and software upgrades. As far as I can see, its still the exact same routing. No better routing accuracy or more routing options. Just new streets, towns or POI's.

The media related and wireless features are nice, but I purchased it for a GPS. In product design and features vs cost, too much is being spent on "extras".

Their "core" market (GPS) accuracy does not change from their lowest model to their highest. Same basic software and options. Sure they have US vs NA maps, but the same routing engine running it.

Give us a seperate GPS line with better accuracy and more routing options.This can be done for the same cost as current models by leaving off the media. Of course, text to speech should stay. They could still include a "media" line.

Randy R.

Last edited:
Great ideas

From all the complaints that I read on this forum and others, along with my own experience, I would have to say a route option for "stay on major or 4 lane highways as much as possible". Most of us are routed off main roads onto side roads, much too often in day to day routes.

I think TomTom needs to focus on improving GPS related features first and foremost. Improve accuracy as much as possible.

I have been using TomToms now for a year and have been thru several map upgrades and software upgrades. As far as I can see, its still the exact same routing. No better routing accuracy or more routing options. Just new streets, towns or POI's.

The media related and wireless features are nice, but I purchased it for a GPS. In product design and features vs cost, too much is being spent on "extras".

Their "core" market (GPS) accuracy does not change from their lowest model to their highest. Same basic software and options. Sure they have US vs NA maps, but the same routing engine running it.

Give us a seperate GPS line with better accuracy and more routing options.This can be done for the same cost as current models by leaving off the media. Of course, text to speech should stay. They could still include a "media" line.

Randy R.

This is a great criticism, very constructive.
joey

I would love better routing. I've only had this thing for three days and I already see its shortcomings. Sure, if I had no idea where I was going it would probably be better than nothing but when I know where I'm going and it's trying to take me on a roundabout route when there is a much more direct route it rather bothers me. Here are a few things that could be added to maps/routing/general functionality:
- Dirt roads
- Roads with no winter maintenance
- when on long trips, avoid "shortening" the route through residential neighborhoods and dirt roads; stick to main roads. ON a 200+ kilometer trip, there is no reason that I should be traveling on a dirt road at any point unless either my starting point or ending point is on one.
- Identify roads as detours for towns when there are designed to be as such and give them preference when traveling through that town.
- Identify speed limits, stop signs, traffic lights, etc, and use this info for routing and time to arrival predictions.
- Save routes and based on travel time through sections of road that many users have traveled along build an online database of average travel times based on time of day and route appropriate detours accordingly. This could be done since corrections and other things can already be uploaded. This could potentially end up being huge however, I realize that.
- Memorize routes as Itineraries

There are probably lots of fixes for this kind of stuff, but I figure this should all be available out of the box.

Let me know if I'm crazy... It's possible.

- when on long trips, avoid "shortening" the route through residential neighborhoods and dirt roads; stick to main roads.

It's interesting... my TomTom doesn't show dirt roads as looking any different on the map, but it seems to know where they are. I have an itinerary which includes a dirt road, and everytime I choose it the GPS warns me that it includes a dirt road and asks if I want to avoid it. Doesn't yours do that?

I'm using a 920T if that matters. Maybe the maps of your area just don't include info on dirt roads while mine do?

Ask a Question