what are "Trusted Sources"

Who are they and why do TomTom trust them?
I assume you refer to the MapShare threshold settings. You ask a question that I have NEVER seen answered anywhere. I don't think I've ever even seen one of the beta testers that are here in this forum come up with an explanation for it.

I do know that the program isn't really vetted the way you might think. If you set the threshold all the way to "Strict", it seems no changes ever appear, indicating that TomTom is never taking time to fully review MapShare modifications.

What I can say is that "Medium" allows in a fair number of changes, and I don't seem to get bit by them in terms of accuracy. How many "many" is - no idea - but evidently a sufficient number of people to avoid too many errors, so I stick with that setting and have been reasonably pleased with the results. With that setting, I currently show 1171 corrections against the 860 2GB North American map.

Last edited:
In Australia the "Trusted" people are along the lines
(a) TomTom staff or other such and the changes are verified
(b) Trusted sources such as goverment agencies
(c) Private sources whose changes have consistently proved accurate.
At least this is the TomTom speel.
Having had my unit set to strict and seeing the changes I deleted all these and went back to the original map. The shared data was rubbish eg speed limits.

One reason is that it is very difficult to change a small section (say 1km) of a long freeway (50Km) with the TomTom edit process selecting the full length by default. You then have to deselect all the sections which make up the remaining 49Km. Most people manage to get this wrong. I think the edit process should be reversed.

Zadoc makes a good point about the difficulty of upgrading the maps by the users.

Is there some sort of gift that tomtom gives to people (like a free map upgrade) for reliable correct changes of more than 10 per month, say.

Another point, if I put in a change, will the change appear on my own device. I can trust my changes :) but I don't want to trust everybody's changes.

Welcome to TTF.

changes you make via mapshare on the first few screens WILL appear on your own map, yes, but anything in mapshare that can be reported only (such as the additional of a new road) will not. For those geographical changes, you can only hope they'll appear in a future map update.

For those geographical changes, you can only hope they'll appear in a future map update.

Heh," hope" is about it.. I have been waiting 5 years for the street that I live on (+30 other houses) to be added. Google and Navteq finally added it this year, Tomtom however seems to want me to suffer a bit longer, lol.

Ask a Question