Should've trusted my judgment

So I made a post earlier this week regarding the 510. I still went ahead and bought one anyways because I read that many folks were able to fix their issue. Well, this morning a TomTom rep had me format my SD card and reinstall the app, voices and map. My device still reboots. So now, they're going to have me send it to them for repairs/replacement!

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh ...

UPDATE: TomTom wants me to send it in so they can replace it. DAMN DAMN DAMN.

Last edited:
Where did you pruchase it from?
If you purchased it from a retail store, go and exchange for another.

Where did you pruchase it from?
If you purchased it from a retail store, go and exchange for another.

ebay :(

Rather go through manufacturer than try to get another device from the seller and go through this all over again.

I question TomTom on their refurb devices and they assure me the ones they send from HQ are good. wtf? The one I bought was also refurb and look what happened.

I had sent my 910 for repair. They exchanged it with a refurb unit from their facility. I have no problems with their refurb unit.
It didn't take that long to get my unit back also.

My 510 is a refurb I bought off a seller on eBay as well, and I've had no major issues with it to date. The only problem I had was self inflicted... went mucking around in the software on the unit and managed to delete a necessary file... but that's what backups are for :)

I don't think you need to worry about a refurb from TomTom. They're decent, and you can't expect everything to be perfect every time around. True it sucks that you wound up with a defective unit, but with the hundreds of thousands of them sold, it's bound to happen. Give the manufacturer a chance to make good, and you most likely won't regret it :)

My 510 is a refurb I bought off a seller on eBay as well, and I've had no major issues with it to date. The only problem I had was self inflicted... went mucking around in the software on the unit and managed to delete a necessary file... but that's what backups are for :)

I don't think you need to worry about a refurb from TomTom. They're decent, and you can't expect everything to be perfect every time around. True it sucks that you wound up with a defective unit, but with the hundreds of thousands of them sold, it's bound to happen. Give the manufacturer a chance to make good, and you most likely won't regret it :)

You're right about how one shouldn't expect things to be perfect every time around, but the issue here is a known defective product that the manufacturer put out. My only concern is I was one of many who was unfortunate to have bought one of their defective unit, but who's to say that the refurb they send me won't be defective as well? Customer service assured me that they test their units before sending to resellers, but isnt that what they're supposed to do? If so, then why the many defective units that were sold via woot and ebay, among many others.

i'm not here to bash tomtom and im looking forward to using their device. they'll have to win me over.

Like my friend Pedro my 910 was returned for repair. Got a replacement in less than 10 days and in working order. Different firmware so the auto off feature could not be restored but other than that great.

Ask a Question