western europe map on SD card?

Hi!

I've just got a TomTom one from Amazon. latest version, with preloaded US/canada maps, SD slot, bluetooth, and v7.
I'm flying to France for a couple of weeks soon.
I bought a 1GB Transcend Card, and a DVD of Europeans maps.
for some reason, I can't get it to work...
I copied the western europe files on my SD, and I get this error symbol on my tomtom saying that the SD card is not valid ? what did I do wrong?
I've read other threads, couldnt find any answer though.

First (before maps) put the SD card into the TomTom and let it try to format it (not sure the steps as I did this a long time ago to go from a 1 gig SD to a 2 gig)

Then go back and load the maps.

Your SD card has to contain the map folder AND the application software.

By connecting your TomTom to the computer and starting up the Home program, it should automatically download and install the application software on to the new SD card.

here's what worked for me.....

remove the sd card as the unit tries to boot up from the card and cannot do so without the proper files which is why you're getting the error.

restart the unit and do a backup to your hard drive using home if you haven't already done so......

re-insert the sd card and using home, restore the hard drive backup to the sd card.

the unit should now boot from the sd card with your original maps.

your 1g card will be almost full, so you'd have to delete the usa/canada folder and then install your european maps. this is done using home.

then activate the new maps. an option would be to buy a larger sd card, in which case you can leave the usa/canada map folder on the card and use the change maps feature to move between maps.

your original configuration remains untouched on the unit's internal memory and can be used simply by removing the sd card and rebooting the unit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question