Warning! For New GO 720 Users

TomTom Model(s)
GO720
Map Guarantee is not working (Just look at other posts). If you bought your GO 720 from Best Buy or off the Internet recently you are most likely on Map Version 7.10 (This does not have the set speed limits on the roads or the cool on/off ramp graphics ).
Problem: When you connect to the computer and use the Latest Map Guarantee it shows that you have the latest software, which you might not. The latest software that I just downloaded (After a call to support) is 815.2019.
Steps
1) Check your version by connecting to the computer. Go to ?Show contents of my GO?. Then check MAPS then MORE INFO. If it shows anything less than 815.2019 then you do not have the latest version.
2) Call support and tell then your Latest Map Guarantee is not working. If it is within the past 30 days no problem. If not (Like me) Tell them it has never worked, they can tell if you have downloaded a version before.
3) When you download the software (Which will take about 2 hours on a med/fast connect) MAKE SURE you BACKUP and THEN DELETE your OLD Map or you will not have enough room on your device, unless you have installed additional memory.
a. Note if you have Downloaded your NEW MAP you can find it in ?Adds Maps, Traffic, Voices etc? Then ?Items on my Computer? then ?Maps?

Cheers,
Thomas

2) Call support and tell then your Latest Map Guarantee is not working. If it is within the past 30 days no problem. If not (Like me) Tell them it has never worked, they can tell if you have downloaded a version before.
Congrats on getting TT to honor your map upgrade after the 30 day window. From what I've heard here, it isn't something that happens often. Must'a sweet talked them really good, eh?

Map Guarantee is not working (Just look at other posts). If you bought your GO 720 from Best Buy or off the Internet recently you are most likely on Map Version 7.10 (This does not have the set speed limits on the roads or the cool on/off ramp graphics ).
Problem: When you connect to the computer and use the Latest Map Guarantee it shows that you have the latest software, which you might not. The latest software that I just downloaded (After a call to support) is 815.2019.
Steps
1) Check your version by connecting to the computer. Go to ?Show contents of my GO?. Then check MAPS then MORE INFO. If it shows anything less than 815.2019 then you do not have the latest version.
3) When you download the software (Which will take about 2 hours on a med/fast connect) MAKE SURE you BACKUP and THEN DELETE your OLD Map or you will not have enough room on your device, unless you have installed additional memory.
a. Note if you have Downloaded your NEW MAP you can find it in ?Adds Maps, Traffic, Voices etc? Then ?Items on my Computer? then ?Maps?

Cheers,
Thomas

As always- DON'T FORGET TO MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!!!!

A sort-of sweet talk. I did not get mad but I used logic. It told them that this is a known issue on the forum (Thanks to this forum!) and said how could I download the latest version if my software is saying I had the latest download?

He first said no, but I did not give up. His "no" turned into "let me see what I can do". He put me on old for 3 minutes to talk to the Map dept. and came back and said we are going grant me a one time download favor. I was thinking favor! This is a known software bug and you are granting me a favor! ... What a joke ...

Anyway ... I think they are slow to fix this issue because for those that do not download the software they will need to download a updated map sooner ... and I bet that software is working just fine!

My 720 is a approximately 1 year old

So I just read your info about the software. I hav 715.1712 on my tomtom and on the location my computer you mentioned. Does that mean that when I did my orginal download it did not work, or is my tomtome just old enough that I would need to purchase the new verision?

Thank you

No, it possibly means you had, say, 7.10 on your unit and were offered the latest map guarantee which, at the time, was 7.15.

When did you try for the LMG??

Does it matter what firmware I have for latest map?

I got my Tom Tom for xmas. I immediatel when on with HOME
and was told I had the latest.
My map is v710.1584 with App.7.221 firmware.

I don't want to update my firmware but would like the latest map.
I feel if a newer map was available during my first 30 days they should
have offered it to me. I plan to call tomorrow.

When you downloaded your map did you download it to your computer
than copied it over to your tomtom?

Ken

A sort-of sweet talk. I did not get mad but I used logic. It told them that this is a known issue on the forum (Thanks to this forum!) and said how could I download the latest version if my software is saying I had the latest download?

He first said no, but I did not give up. His "no" turned into "let me see what I can do". He put me on old for 3 minutes to talk to the Map dept. and came back and said we are going grant me a one time download favor. I was thinking favor! This is a known software bug and you are granting me a favor! ... What a joke ...

Anyway ... I think they are slow to fix this issue because for those that do not download the software they will need to download a updated map sooner ... and I bet that software is working just fine!

You simply cannot get the latest map (815) without having the firmware at v8 level.

When a map is dl, it automatically is stored in a folder on the computer prior to Home's installing it on the unit.

Lmg

I tried right after I purchase the unit and since it was so long ago I don't really know what firmware it had on it. I only worried about it after I saw this thread.

So do I need to purchase the 8.0 that everyone is talking about or just leave my TT as is?

You simply cannot get the latest map (815) without having the firmware at v8 level.

When a map is dl, it automatically is stored in a folder on the computer prior to Home's installing it on the unit.
Which brings up an interesting point - if you can get the folks at TT to "push" the current map for your account, you're not obligated to install it immediately. In fact, I made a point of assuring that it could not FIT on my unit when I grabbed my first map update (thanks to seeing postings here). The fact that it was now safely downloaded on my PC, but not yet installed on my TT, gave me the opportunity to install it if/when I was actually prepared to do so.

In my perfect world at the moment, and if I had just purchased a 720, I'd find, load and run 8.010 code. Then I'd call TT for the "push" and grab the 8.15 map set as a LMG if my 30 days were running out. Then I'd let the 8.15 map sit on my PC, and wait to actually install 8.15 map until the 8.300 firmware gets cleaned up and I could profitably use the map. Better than not getting the 8.15 map as part of a legit LMG. Of course, I'm not eligible for 8.15, but for those of you that still are, it's an option.

Lmg

So it sounds like if I need to update my TT I need the 8.0v first then can maybe update from there? Also sounds like if I upgrade to 8.0 then 8.1 I can then ask for 8.3 download to my computer but not put on my TT until I know the next version is coming out then I can get that update and do the same thing what until the next verision is comming out before loading it on my TT so I can also get the 30 day upgrade without paying for it. This is correct?

So it sounds like if I need to update my TT I need the 8.0v first then can maybe update from there? Also sounds like if I upgrade to 8.0 then 8.1 I can then ask for 8.3 download to my computer but not put on my TT until I know the next version is coming out then I can get that update and do the same thing what until the next verision is comming out before loading it on my TT so I can also get the 30 day upgrade without paying for it. This is correct?

Home software will no longer ask you to update to version 8.010 before upgrading to 8.3. If you start with a clean blank device, Home will first download and install Navcore version 7.x (dont remember what number) and the second update it will have you install is the latest available NavCore version. Back then it used to have you update 1 version at a time, but now it just skips a bunch of versions and takes you to the latest after only your second update. You will need to download 8.010 from another source.

I purchased my unit as a refurb 2 days ago and upgraded through home for free to version 8.3, however i called tom tom and they told me with out some slip in my box with a code that i would not be able to get the map for free...so mad

I purchased my unit as a refurb 2 days ago and upgraded through home for free to version 8.3, however i called tom tom and they told me with out some slip in my box with a code that i would not be able to get the map for free...so mad

This seems like a recent change in policy. I'm waiting for a replacement refurb 720 from Amazon that should arrive in the next couple of days (my original refurb has some problem with the touchscreen). I planned to call and get the new map by sending in a copy of my invoice, like many here have done. There does not seem to be a shortage of refurb units, so maybe Tomtom is now trying to garner some extra revenue for map upgrades.

If anyone else experiences this issue, successful or not, please post your results on the forum. I will be calling them sometime next week after I get the replacement unit.

As is true in most cases with TomTom, you may need to be a little more pro-active. It's a typical "call until you get an answer you like" sort of situation. I'd remind them that there is NOTHING on their web page that says anything about any little slips of paper, and that it says you can get your free map upgrade at any point within 30 days of registering the unit of the net. Bring it up on the screen of your PC and read it to them if necessary. Remind them that it's been there for a long time, they know about it, and you expect them to honor it.

Unfortunately, if you go to this link, you'll see the word 'new' in the explanation, as in 'new unit'. And that is what TT can hide behind.

FWIW, ALL European refurbs DO come with a LMG and a 1-year warranty.

Unfortunately, if you go to this link, you'll see the word 'new' in the explanation, as in 'new unit'. And that is what TT can hide behind.

This must be a recent change to the website. One of the reasons I went with the refurb was the comments from everyone who was able to get the LMG after sending in their invoice. I guess Tomtom is shutting this off here in the U.S.

Yikes! They must have just changed this! It appears they have changed their corporate approach to refurbs. That really bites.

Well nuts to 'em. Was thinking of picking up a 2nd unit for the spousal unit at the refurb Best Buy price. Think I won't bother now.

Of course, the new wording STILL doesn't get them off the hook for the free map upgrade for purchasers of new units (or those that receive them as gifts) that don't plug in their TT unit to TTHome for some period of time after the purchase. There's still zero wiggle room on that in their online "contract" since the only evidence they'll ever get for "use" is the online connection.

Last edited:
hmmm. I was unaware of this latest map deal. Bought mine at best buy in december and still have 7.1. Wonder if I showed them a receipt with a purchase date if they would upgrade me. Its really crappy if the didn't.

I just purchased a 720 refurb at the end of January for my DH's birthday last week. When he tried today to call about the LMG they directed him to a support page. I think it was this one. Note that it lists the models that the LMG is available for, and the 720 is not one of them. They have now averted the refurb issue entirely. Le suck.

Ask a Question