Voice Recognition/Favourites/Text Messages

Hi

I've finally shelled out for a TomTom after years of thinking about it.

I've bought a refurbished 920 and am enjoying it very much but I've a few problems with it.

1. The voice recognition doesn't work. I have figured out that this is a common problem and managed to download a cspeech_gbr.dat file and that appeared to have sorted it as the voice recognition was no longer greyed out. Now however, it doesn't recognise anything I say. It isn't the problem on the North American maps however as I've tested it out. Is there anything else I need to download?

2. My favourites are all greyed out so I can't add any favoutites when it comes to places. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or is there anything I need to download?

3. I've set up my tomtom with my phone and can make handsfree calls. I can't however read or send messages. Again, is there anything I need to download or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks

Andy

1. You also need a text file called support_asr.dat with only a 1 in it, nothing else, and located the file in the asr folder. Is there one there? And, you want a computer voice selected.If all that is in place and you are using hte WE (or Great Britain) map, then manually select a route to ensure a proper map is selected for 'city'. See if that helps. I'm curious where you found a cspeech_GB.dat file to download.

2. My Favourites may be greyed out if you have none in place but can you go to Manage Favourites (is it active?), Add Favourite, etc...

I downloaded the file from a torrent site after much searching. The file downloaded at about 1.8gb I think and has a whole host of things in there such as other European countries cspeech files. I only copied the Great Britain one over as a test and it did indeed change the greyed out boxes to be active.

I will look at the asr folder tonight.

The manage favourites is also greyed out and is not active. Is this normal?

If you read the announcement at the top of each forum about the policy concerning warez/torrent sites, you'll realize why we won't offer any assistance to anyone dealing with software from those kind of sites.

Sorry.

Yep. My apologies. I did all this last night and found your site this morning when I hadn't corrected the problem and searched for help again.

No idea about the warez/torrent sites as I've not been active online for too long.

Sorry once again.

Make sure the device has got a GPS position fix and you should find the button to add favourite isn't greyed out - Mike

Mike, I wish we had all the smilies that PGPSW has......

I'd sure use the one for smacking myself on the head right now. I completely forgot to mention that! :)

Thanks.............

Many thanks. I have managed to get favourites working. Who would have thought it would be as simple as getting a GPS signal.

I still have no idea why the voice recognition is not working. I've no idea about downloading so don't want to risk putting something somewhere and breaking the thing. I do have the support_asr.dat with just 1 in it. The voice recognition will just not work though. :-(

Seriously, the speech file you got from that site could have been for any map. It might not even work on yours.

You may try calling Support and see what they suggest in regards to getting the files.

Ok. Many thanks for all your assistance.

It is just very disappointing to buy something and not for it to work how it is expected. I will contact support directly and take it up with them.

I hope it isn't all as complicated as this!

My suspicion is that the refurbished unit you got was a North American model. The reason I say that is many North Americans found their European map did not come with the speech files and many Europeans found their unit didn't have NA speech files.

Your situation is the reverse.

Give UK support a call and plead your case. Don't mention you tried to dl a speech file. Won't help your cause...

I have emailed tomtom support for help and have been told that it looks as though I've bought a US version.

I've sent them a proof of purchase. As its from ebay and its a refurbished model I can imagine I'm going to get told that there is nothing they can do.

It's not a huge issue not being able to use this but I am hugely disappointed.

Andy, tell me exactly the name of your European map, the version and build number.

Tap the satellites and the next screen shows the application version number. Well, tap the version number and the next screen says what the map is, the version and the build number.

Can you provide me with that info, please.

Hi

Device AK8AU A2GUE
App 8.351 (9982/090518) OS:315187
64MB RAM (Free: 17.7MB)
GPS v120 Boot 5.5120
Map: Western and Central Europe v710.1576
Language: English UK

Look, I don't know whether this will work for you.......

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then click on this link

Provides the speech files for a different European map and map version. But they may work

Try This Link for the ASR files for your v710 map, the URL's are quite easy to work out, as they all follow the same format! - Mike

And when you have the 200MB downloaded to your PC you don't need all of it, if all you want to use is the UK simply put the cspeech_GBR.dat file in to the Western_and_Central_Europe map folder, you don't need all the other countries unless you intend to use the device overseas (might save you running out of storage space) - just keep the files on your PC so you can add the ones yo want as and when required - Mike

Ask a Question