Various oddities

Hi -

When I run through POIs (let's say, for restaurants) the farthest they go is maybe 3 miles away from my current location? This seems crazy. Am I just doing this wrong or what? Shouldn't the unit just keep showing me stuff farther and farther away?

Pronunciations. Can't say Los Angeles correctly. Or Toledo. Shouldn't some major cities just be "forced" to be pronounced correctly, rather than depending on the chip to do that?

Driving around San Diego, i_805 was being pronounced;

"Eight West Five Southbound" Huh? Again, major road in a major city. Can't believe this hasn't been addressed...

Time to capture sats seems slower than in my prior unit as the route planning....

Clearly TomTom changed the degree of pressure that is needed to invoke the virtual buttons. Used to be too light (with a lot of mistaken input) but now it seems to take too long. Is it possible, technically, to make this a user setting or is that kind of thing hardware based?

None of these are major game changers, but they are annoying.

And no, I can't remember the name of my new unit :)

Hi -

When I run through POIs (let's say, for restaurants) the farthest they go is maybe 3 miles away from my current location? This seems crazy. Am I just doing this wrong or what? Shouldn't the unit just keep showing me stuff farther and farther away?

It's memory issues.
It will show you the nearest 48 (8 screens of 6) because it has to work out the distance for each one
This has been doubled to 96 in the newest models.

But, you'll notice the "Find" function DOES search the entire POI category list.

Pronunciations. Can't say Los Angeles correctly. Or Toledo. Shouldn't some major cities just be "forced" to be pronounced correctly, rather than depending on the chip to do that?

There is a file to do just that, but it doesn't work very well. See the topics on "Loquano" or "TTS" for details on the experiments people have done to disable or improve it.

"Eight West Five Southbound" Huh? Again, major road in a major city. Can't believe this hasn't been addressed...
Again, this is down to that dodgy file. o= west is a US-only error. We don't get it in Europe.
But it can be fixed. See those topics again.

Clearly TomTom changed the degree of pressure that is needed to invoke the virtual buttons. Used to be too light (with a lot of mistaken input) but now it seems to take too long. Is it possible, technically, to make this a user setting or is that kind of thing hardware based?

Probably, but there's no way for the user to do it on a TomTom, I'm afraid. (and I've never seen any "hacks" to achieve it either).

Last edited:
It's a machine, for heaven's sake! We humans have enough problems pronouncing some words in what others would call the correct way. My friend who is Polish and speaks four languages has far worse English pronunciation than my TT.

My TT can speak more languages than I've heard of - give it a little space if it mispronounces a few local words unless you cannot understand what it says.

I would far rather TT fixed some of the outstanding technical and feature issues than spent time perfecting pronunciation for every locality on earth.

Last edited:

Ask a Question