USB Car Chargers

Please, can someone explain to me how TomTom can NOT offer replacement USB car chargers? They are listed on the web site, but they are not available to purchase.

You can likely find a usb car charger at your local Best Buy or similar, and probably for less than you could have got it at TT.

Depending on the model of TomTom you have the car charger might be rated at up to 2 amps, the newer products released in the last six months have charges rated at 1 amp, if you get a charger that is too low in terms of capacity you won't charge the device and end up with a flat battery on a long trip - Mike

Depending on the model of TomTom you have the car charger might be rated at up to 2 amps, the newer products released in the last six months have charges rated at 1 amp, if you get a charger that is too low in terms of capacity you won't charge the device and end up with a flat battery on a long trip - Mike
My original charger is rated at 2 amps. However, I wonder if that much current is required for operation of the ONE XL. Two amps is way beyond the USB 2.0 500mA specification. There are plenty of car chargers capable of providing less than 2 amps, but I question whether that much capability is necessary. My guess is that the increased current is necessary to operate the unit AND charge the battery at the same time.

While I have your attention, my battery only lasts about 15 minutes, which is normally fine. What is the procedure for replacing the battery? Does the unit have to be returned to TomTom, or can the battery be replaced in the field?

Remove the four Torx headed screws in the back of the device (Torx size 7) then run your thumb nail around the case between the silver and grey plastic halves of the case the back will seperate off quite easily but beware there are wires to the battery and speaker so don't use too much force.
Disconnect the speaker and battery leads from the PCB to fully seperate the two parts, the battery can now be extracted from the inside of the case, it is glued into position and I tend to use WD40 in a small amount sprayed around the battery to dissolve the adhesive then remove the Battery and dispose of correctly.
Clean up the area for the new battery and secure it in position using silicone sealent, reconnect the speaker and the battery cables to the PCB and reassemble the case.

A replacement battery will be easy to obtain from the internet (E-Bay being one place to start searching), I have included the details of whats inside my One XL:

Type A1 Battery
Cell: MAXELL ICP
553450ARX/S
Capacity: 1100mAh
Made in China

If you want me to take any pictures to show you how the unit looks with the back removed just ask as it only takes minutes to strip a One XL down, at least the battery is stuck to a sensible part of this device unlike the Go-x20/ x30 where its glued to the PCB! - Mike

Thanks, Mike. That procedure seems simple enough. If for some reason I physically damage the XL while taking it apart to replace the battery, since the unit is long out of warranty, will TomTom repair it, or will they refuse to repair it since it has been opened? Some manufacturers will not repair devices on which customers have attempted repair.

TT will not repair items out of warranty.

Is that true for other manufacturers, as well? These things are quite expensive to throw away. I have to buy one for a Christmas present. If Garmin's policy is any better, that's what I'll get. My guess is that they're all the same.

Alternatively, is there a third-party repair source?

Please, can someone explain to me how TomTom can NOT offer replacement USB car chargers? They are listed on the web site, but they are not available to purchase.

I bought one a while ago. They probably sold out with the huge rush of black friday sales.

You can wait a bit or try looking here.

Watch out when buying a charger (car or home). My XL340S has a recessed mini-USP recepticle for the charger. I tried a couple of different AC home chargers which because of the plastic molding around the plug would not fit my unit even though they said will fit "all" GPS units including Tom Tom.

I finally found one at Radio Shack which comes with 5 different plug-in connectors. Try them in-store before you buy.

Ask a Question