updated to 2.3 now home won't start

Title basically says it all. I updated Tomtom Home to 2.3, now when I start TT Home up, I get this error "HOMEruntime.exe failed with error 0: Process failed to start up correctly"

Tried to reinstall, same problem..

Any ideas?

Thanks

Title basically says it all. I updated Tomtom Home to 2.3, now when I start TT Home up, I get this error "HOMEruntime.exe failed with error 0: Process failed to start up correctly"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you try to reinstall from the file already downloaded? I see on a Polish (I think :D ) forum, a similar error reported. The error message said to reinstall from www.tomtom.com/home

So, perhaps try to log into their website for your country, account, etc. and try the download/install process again.

program you downloaded might have been corrupted

Try doing a restore on your computer to an earlier date (before you installed the orginal TomTom software).
I've found 99% of the time, the problems I've had like that,... I do a restore to an earlier date and than reinstall a program, it then works.
The program you downloaded might have been corrupted during the download process. Download a new 2.3 (after you do a restore) and see if that works. There are so many variables to what goes on with computers.
Good luck...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Your Windows account must only be a-z, and not "none" uk/us character is allowed.
So you must create a new user. Tomtom say it will be corrected in a new update

Your Windows account must only be a-z, and not "none" uk/us character is allowed.
So you must create a new user. Tomtom say it will be corrected in a new update

Hi there, thanks for the info, but I'm sure I quite understand what you are saying. Where do I create a new account? And what windows account?

Thanks again,

Jason

Hi there, thanks for the info, but I'm sure I quite understand what you are saying. Where do I create a new account? And what windows account?

Thanks again,

Jason

Hi

your login to Windows
Windows/ control panel/ user account /add user

Last edited:
Workaround for flaky new TomTomHOME 2.3

Hi! Today I also upgraded to TomTomHOME 2.3, and it stopped with an error message while attempting to check for updates. Repeatedly.

I found this thread, directly downloaded the file from tomtom.com, and still couldn't get past that problem. So I phoned TomTom's USA office, where a nice lady in tech support reported (quickly!) that they know about the problem and are working on a fix.

Meanwhile, she suggested a simple workaround that works for me: Just click the BACK button! That restarts the operation, and this time it works.

That should hold me until TomTomHOME v2.3.1 or whatever...

Back Button?

Which back button are you referring to? I get the TTHome splash screen then it just goes away. Sometimes I will get the HOMEruntime error message. But,alas, no back button.

I never did get to the screen for updates. So I'm guessing that's where the back button is.

Last edited:
Which back button are you referring to? I get the TTHome splash screen then it just goes away. Sometimes I will get the HOMEruntime error message. But,alas, no back button.

I never did get to the screen for updates. So I'm guessing that's where the back button is.

Yup, THAT Back button. In my case, TThome changes from the splash screen to its search-for-updates window, then displays the error message - with the Back button in that window's lower left corner. One click on the Back button, and it restarts the operation and does it correctly.

It worked again today (although I'm still waiting for a repaired TThome).

Installed 2.3.0.70
TomTom won't start
Installed 2.3.1.92
TomTom won't start

I've tried dozens of times.... reinstall uninstall delete each folder/file related to TomTom ... clean registry

nothing

Also both new 2.3 install .exe's don't have "Next Next Finish" buttons during the installation... i have to click a blank spot where I "GUESS" there's the next or install now button lol

TomTom has been going waaaaaaaaay downhill since I bought this stupid GPS.

Installed 2.3.0.70
TomTom won't start
Installed 2.3.1.92
TomTom won't start

I've tried dozens of times.... reinstall uninstall delete each folder/file related to TomTom ... clean registry

nothing

Also both new 2.3 install .exe's don't have "Next Next Finish" buttons during the installation... i have to click a blank spot where I "GUESS" there's the next or install now button lol

TomTom has been going waaaaaaaaay downhill since I bought this stupid GPS.
Two days ago, I updated from TomTom Home 2.3.070 to 2.3.1.92. Like the former version, it worked - but now, without even that ignorable error message.

Yesterday morning, I updated my WinXP Home SP2 to SP3. All still works well.

Mitchrapp, my best guess is that - despite your efforts - you DO still have one or more corrupted files. I hope TomTom tech support or someone else on this forum can help you.

In my case, the Back button was in the lower left of the error message window.

Now corrected, upon my update from TomTom HOME 2.3.0.70 to 2.3.1.92.

You have some further problem, which I didn't experience.

I encountered the same issue recently, and after discussing the problem with the UK TomTom support team, I was provided with the following information, that certainly resolved the matter for me, although I did not perform the "Disk Cleanup or Disk Defragment" that they had also recommended that I perform (a bit of overkill I thought).

These instructions worked for me with WinXP SP3, how they fair for Vista I can't say.
-------------------------------------------------------

To solve any issues with Connecting to TomTom Home and/or using the 'Operate my device' feature of TomTom, please do the following:-

STEP 1 Uninstall TomTom Home

- Disconnect your TomTom from your computer.
- Click on Start -> All Programs -> TomTom
- Uninstall All versions of TomTom Home from your PC
- Once Uninstalled, Open 'My Computer'.
- Right click on your 'C' drive and click on 'Search'
- in the boxes below where it says 'All or part of the filename', type 'Navcore' in this box.
- Further down, click on 'More Advanced Options'
- Make sure 'Search System Folders' and 'Search Hidden Files and Folders' are ticked.
- Click on Search

When the search has completed. Delete any files or folders that are found in the search results. Once complete, we need to remove any items on your PC that refer to TomTom, to do this:-

- Open 'My Computer'.
- Right click on your 'C' drive and click on 'Search'
- in the boxes below where it says 'All or part of the filename', type 'TomTom' in this box.
- Further down, click on 'More Advanced Options'
- Make sure 'Search System Folders' and 'Search Hidden Files and Folders' are ticked.
- Click on Search

When the search has completed. Delete any files or folders that are found in the search results.

Once done, reboot your PC.

STEP 2 Perform Some PC Maintenance.

- Empty your Recycle Bin, on your desktop, right click on the recycle bin and choose 'Empty'.

Note: I chose not to perform the Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation, I didn't think that it was a necessary step, but perhaps I am wrong.

- Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools
- Do a Disk Cleanup, in the disk cleanup options, make sure all the items are ticked. You will see this after it has analyzed your PC.
- Once finished, do a Disk Defragment.
- When the Disk Defragment has finished, please reboot your computer.

These procedures can take a while to complete, depending on the status of your computer.

STEP 3 Install TomTom Home 2.3

- Click on http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2latest/TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe
- You will now be prompted to download and install TomTom Home 2.3
- Once Installed, please reboot your PC

STEP 4 Open TomTom Home

- Open TomTom Home without the device connected. Do you get any error messages at this point?
- Connect your TomTom to one of the USB ports on the back of your PC
- Switch the TomTom on. Do you get any error messages at this point when you open TomTom Home?

--------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully these steps should resolve a majority of the issues encountered when starting TomTom Home and getting the "HOMEruntime.exe failed with error 0: Process failed to start up correctly" error message.

Regards.

Same Issue not fixed yet...

I used Tom Tom Home when I first got the unit... it worked fine, I haden't used it for about 4 months and now I got this error when I need to use it, and I've tried uninstalling, cleaning, rebooting, all to no success.

A better error message would be nice, or a better explanation on the forums would be nice too. "we're working on an update" for the last several months isn't a very good answer. A temporary work-around would be the right thing to provide.

I searched my whole system for anything NAVCORE and found nothing after uninstalling TomTomHome.
Rebooted, reinstalled TomTomHome, ran without any device connected, and got the same error message.

Moving on to another computer now...

FWIW, I kept on running into the same error. Uninstalled, rebooted, installed, but no luck. I would get the dreaded HOMERunTime.exe crash each time I tried to update.

Then I somehow noticed that at the top right of the screen, there's a tiny link to Log In. I hit that, entered my TomTom account, and now the update is working just fine. If that solves it for you, too, then please let us know.

I'm having the same problem ... Unfortunately I'm going to return this product because I need updated maps.

Old thread but still funny because I had a similar situation as someone on this thread did. Everything is working perfectly for me but now that someone mentioned it, I do remember that when I was installing TomTom Home last week (latest downloadable version) , that the "back" "next" "yes" "etc" buttons were invisible. I had to guess where to click. If you clicked in the wrong spot it would say "Are you sure you want to cancel setup?"

Seeing how this thread dates back to May, and being that I JUST bought this product last week and had to download TomTom Home (my One XL didn't come with a CD) and that the invisible buttons problem STILL exists, is NOT a good thing. It's been 4 months and there still hasn't been a fix yet on this?

Right click on the TomTom program (after installing) and pick Properties.

Click the Compatibility tab.

Select the option to run in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP2.

Save, then start the program. Works like a charm!

Run in Windows Xp mode (NOT Vista)

Run in XP mode (not Vista)

Tried to install Tom Tom on my Windows Vista computer and got the same error. I tried downloading from the website and also downloading off the Tom Tom. So what I did was installed it and then went to the actual .exe program and did a right mouse click and bring up PROPERTIES and change the property to run in Windows XP as opposed to Windows Vista and it ran just fine.

Ask a Question