Two Dead TomToms sitting on my desk

Help!

I have two dead TomToms sitting on my desk. One is mine and one is a co-workers that I offered to help with.

One is a TomTom Go 700 (4D00.700), the other is a Go as well but I can't remember the model (4D00.001). It has two female docking receptacles underneath and an SD card slot on the front.

Both have the exact same symptoms:

1. When plugged into the wall the green light lights up on the front.
2. NOTHING. They are both completely dead besides the green light. No splash screen, no sound, nada.

I have tried resetting them both. I have tried holding the reset in while holding the power button in, and have tried all sorts of variations on this.

One died mid road trip. The other wouldn't power back on after sitting in a parked car for an afternoon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't hold power button down while you do the reset - unless TT support says to (have you called them yet?).

I would let them both charge for a few hours, and then try re-setting and powering up again (do each step separately) . If not - definitely call support.

The go 700 was fried during a road trip so that one could have been fried by the in car charger. This is the one that belongs to a co-worker.

I'm not sure how the older Go was fried. This one actually belongs to my dad. He tried calling TT support but they said it was too old and he was SOL so he bought a Go 1 XL.

Both have been sitting on my desk at work hooked up to their respective a/c chargers for the last couple of days with periodic attempts at resetting them.

I personally have a Go 700 that had a similar problem early in it's life and TT replaced it for free but these two that I have on my desk at work right now are too old for them to provide any assistance.

I was actually hoping that this was a known problem and that it was possibly an internal harware issue that I could open up the units, fix and re-assemble.

Possibly overheated solder joints on a chipset or something.

Spoke with my dad a bit further about the circumstances surrounding the death of his GO.

He had it plugged into the rear car charger of his car during a road trip using the factory supplied charger.

During the road trip he and my mom smelled something burning which they attributed to a big old truck in front of them so they put the a/c system on re-circulation.

Smell didn't go away. :eek: :D

Looked in the back passenger footwell which is where the smell was apparently coming from and heard a fizzing noise. Voila. Smokey Joes TomTom. (they had been using the car's built-in Nav system and kept the TomTom in the car because the car's system doesn't recognize much beyond highways and main roads)

So the old Go really did go up in flames. Probably eternally bricked however should be fun opening it up to investigate further.

However the Go700 might still be able to be re-surrected.

Talk to TomTom customer service about the fried unit. This shouldn't happen and they may be able to compensate you.

My GO Classic got fried by the old crappy (original) car charger after 1.5 years. TomTom replaced the GO and the cable (they told me to cut the old cable in half so I would know NOT to use it!). The resistor/fuse/whatever in the ancient car chargers would eventually die and the TomTom would get toasted. But it wouldn't happen until a year or so down the road.

Definitely call TomTom.

I am in contact with them now but am getting the run around. Will let you know how it unfolds.....

Ask a Question