TTG 700 POI - nothing showing up

Hi - Under preferences, I enabled POI for gas stations and restaurants. But I'm not getting any POI to show up.

Does it come with some POIs already defined in the unit or do I have to specifically find the POIs I want and upload them to the unit?

Thanks.

No, you've done what you need to do. That being said, though, it could just be that you don't have any POIs from those categories in your area. I do realize that you likely have gas stations in your area, but whether or not they are included in the TomTom POI database is the big question. I would say that most of the gas stations in my area of the country (NE Florida) are not included. However, I downloaded Shell, BP, etc. POI's from this site and now they do show up.

Here's to hoping that the new maps have more of the POIs....!

Now, if I'm able to search for restaurants in my area and they do show up in the results, shouldn't these be showing up as I'm driving around?

Since they don't, I suspect something is wrong. Similarly, if I search for gas stations, I do find them. But again as I'm driving around, nothing is showing up on the screen. Just roads and roads' name.

Ah, you just need to check on the status of the "Show/Hide POI" option on your device. I don't have my GO700 right in front of me to specifically tell you where that is in the menus, and I also created my own custom menus so it might not be the same anyway. But there is an option (above and beyond the checkboxes in the list of POIs) that will display or hide the POIs in the navigation view.

There's another screen that allows TTG 700 to warn me if POIs (with beeps) are along my route of travel or not. I don't think that's working either :(

I looked through all the PREFERENCES settings and these are the only other one I find.

Could you (although you alluded to the fact you customized your menus - how do you do that??) list out what options you are seeing to enable your POIs?

I'll download some custom POIs tonight and see if those will show up instead.

Thanks.

There's another screen that allows TTG 700 to warn me if POIs (with beeps) are along my route of travel or not. I don't think that's working either :(

I looked through all the PREFERENCES settings and these are the only other one I find.

Could you (although you alluded to the fact you customized your menus - how do you do that??) list out what options you are seeing to enable your POIs?

I'll download some custom POIs tonight and see if those will show up instead.

Thanks.

OOPS! That's what I get for not having my GO700 in front of me when answer questions about enabling features. There is no additional option (other than the checkboxes) for displaying your POIs in the navigational view. I confused that with the two-step process of loading the POIs on GO700 and then having to enable them with the check boxes so they show up.

It *APPEARS* that you're doing everything right, so I'm not sure why they're not showing up. You could try the option "Reset factory settings" to see if that resets something that you may have accidentally changed that's preventing these from showing up (but I have no idea what that could be).

Let us know if the 3rd-party POIs are showing up. If they are, then that would point to map/POI problems with your TomTom.

You need to go to Manage POIs in the preference menu and select warn when near POI.

Err... I just said I did that in the preferences menu. But it is not working.

I didn't have time to load customized POI files yet. Will give it a try this weekend.

Thanks for trying to help.

Poi

Why when I load a custom POI with Phone numbers in it.... Like some of
the ones from this site... When I select the POI from the mobile phone
(the phone icon is grayed out)

Tomtom says no phone number available.. But it works with the poi that
came on the TomTom (phone icon is green)

Any Ideas

Thanks

Sorry hamproof. Hope the custom POIs help you.

dpavao, you can't use the mobile phone option and select the custom poi to call from. the phone numbers on the custom POIs are empty so they can't be found. This is why the custom poi has the phone number listed as information. You can add the phone numbers to the custom poi so u can use your handsfree but it will take a long process to add them.

In order to do this, you have to go to preference page 2 of 7 and select manage POIs. Next select edit POI and select a custom POI category. The problem lies that you would have to select each entry and add the phone number. To see this, select the first entry. Select 'Done' to by pass the new name of that entry. Next, (here comes the part where the phone number for that POI entry is empty) enter the phone for that specific entry location and hit done.

As I know, there is no application that can add the phone numbers to custom POIs without going through the tomtom.

Other suggestion would be to use TomTom's POI category instead of a custom POI to make phone calls with handsfree.

I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the POI. I assumed the POI will automatically show up as I'm driving around. Thus, I have never enabled the *warn when ...* beep.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it would have worked prior to me upgrading the maps. Tried it out this morning and decided it's a feature I'm not going to use, at least not for the GAS STATIONS, coz' I get BEEPed at least 10 times from my house leading to the on ramp of the highway (4 miles). Detroit suburbs road usually have at least 2 gas stations on every mile road.

Is there a way for the POI to just appear on the map and not beep??

I know if I just browse the maps, I can see the POI I turned on (gas stations, restaurants, rest area) visible on the screen. But I would like these to show up while I'm driving around w/o the beep.

Thanks.

I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the POI. I assumed the POI will automatically show up as I'm driving around. Thus, I have never enabled the *warn when ...* beep.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it would have worked prior to me upgrading the maps. Tried it out this morning and decided it's a feature I'm not going to use, at least not for the GAS STATIONS, coz' I get BEEPed at least 10 times from my house leading to the on ramp of the highway (4 miles). Detroit suburbs road usually have at least 2 gas stations on every mile road.

Is there a way for the POI to just appear on the map and not beep??

I know if I just browse the maps, I can see the POI I turned on (gas stations, restaurants, rest area) visible on the screen. But I would like these to show up while I'm driving around w/o the beep.

Thanks.

Actually, the POI should display on your TomTom as your drive around if you have the checkboxes checked in your POI list. My display as I just described.

HOWEVER....since downloading a bunch of 3rd-party POIs to my GO700, I found out that the more POI's I have checked to display, the slower and more jerky my TomTom's framerate/screen updates are. So I only have about 1/2 dozen different POI's enabled to show up as I drive around, and I'm now back to a smoother navigation framerate.

Actually, the POI should display on your TomTom as your drive around if you have the checkboxes checked in your POI list. My display as I just described.

Do you have to assign a warning beep for it to show up? If I assign a beep, it'll show up. If I delete the warn, it doesn't. Is this the behavior you are observing?

I do not have to assign a warning beep for the checked POI's to show up. Right now I just have a few POI's checked to display, but even back when I had them all checked to display, they still all showed up (unless some of them were underneath others).

I think I know what my problem is. Will try it this evening on the way home. From memory, on the PREF menu, there's an option for HIDE POI or SHOW POI. But it works in reverse. If I want to show POI, it should say HIDE POI on the screen. At least I think that's what it is.

Ok... problem is solved. It wasn't what I expected. I read a UK TTG manual and saw an option for Enable OR Disable POI. Unfortunately my TTG 700 has Enable/disable POIs.

So, out of frustration, I reset the unit to factory settings and amazingly that solved the problem. My selected POIs (gas stations and restaurants) now appears on the screen while I'm driving around.

Ask a Question