TT910 & BT-Connect

I found this info on connecting your TT device using Bluetooth to use as an external GPS receiver for your PC and uses NMEA frames. So it should work with TrackMaker, MS streets and trips, Rout66.

I found the info
Here:
http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/bluetooth.php?lang=uk

Now it should be fairly easy to get going but of course I am having problems.
I am using a 910 and copied the ?btconsole? folder to the tomtom root & ?sdkregistry? items into the sdkregistry folder on tomtom (I have tripmaster & calc32 already installed)
So now I should just have to run the Bluetooth console from my tom tom device and pair the 2 devices together (tt & notebook) I have played with Bluetooth so I am very familiar with it.

Now when I run the bt-consol application it seams like it dose not really do anything, it just takes me back to the maps screen. My pc could not discover the Bluetooth enabled device (tt 910) so I decided that I would try and run the tomtom reboot app to restart the tt device and undo the Bluetooth changes that it dose on startup, but that app failed to run.
So I think this is where my problem is.
I took a look at the files in the sdkregistry ?btconsol.cap? and ?reboot.cap? and followed the paths they point to and they all seam to be there.

So now I decided to play with the Bluetooth part of the system.
I went to Mobile Phone and selected connect to your phone (ok I should also note that I do have a bt cell that is working with my 910 so Bluetooth is operational, ands free and wireless data)
Now I would select find other phone?
Now it would search for devices but while doing this I would use the PC to find Bluetooth enabled devices. It finds the TomTom
Now the ttdevice pops up a message that reads No phones found bla bla bla, but on the computer it has let me pair the device using the security key 0000 and then I use the computer to discover available services. It now finds Handsfree, Headset Audio Gateway, and Serial Port on TomTom
Now I set it up to use com6

So now it is like a have established a link to the tomtom device but it seams strange at times the computer sees the tomtom but the tomtom will never detect or find my computer

So now just for more experimenting I decided to try and use HyperTerminal to connect to the device. I created a new connection to com 6 and tried to run it
Now sometime I can get it to connect and give me the ?TomTom Login:? prompt (this is WITHOUT the bt-console application running on the tomtom) now this is where it gets strange as sometimes it will let my type in the needed ?root? command and other times it will not let my input nothing. Now the odd time it will let me type in and send the root command I will get this info back

BusyBox v1.00 (2006.01.17-14:38+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

#

So by the examples in the link at the top of the page it looks like I am on my way
So I try and enter my last command to start the NMEA frames
?cat /dev/gpsdata?
BUT NOW it will never let my type/input anything else at all OR it will disconnect and reconnect and give me the TomTom Login: prompt.

SO I tried the setup both with and without the bt-console running from the tomtom device and I get the exact same problems, witch leads me to believe that it is still the bt-console application that is not working correctly on the ttdevice.

Now I am banging my head against the wall. Lol :D
This was a lot of fun to experiment with, but now I really would like to get it going as there would be some benefits to using this setup.
Anyone out there have any advice or ideas to try to get this working.
Dose anyone else have this program working correctly on any other devices?

P.S I have also tried swapping the ttsystem file on the device to reflect firmware 6.52
I did not know if I should go back as far as 6.15. Currently I am running 6.524

Thanks Again

hey dxintel,

I never tried this program or setup before but looking at the btconsole.cap there is no AppPort specified. Try placing 2001, a lot of the custom apps have that, although I I'm not totally sure what it does (even reading the SDK doc)

btconse.cap
Version|100|
AppName|btconsole|
AppPath|/mnt/sdcard/btconsole/|
AppMainTitle|Bluetooth Console|
AppPort|2001|
COMMAND|CMD|Start||Bluetooth Console|

and the reboot.cap
Version|100|
AppName|reboot|
AppPath|/bin/|
AppMainTitle|Tomtom Reboot|
AppPort||
COMMAND|CMD|Start||Tomtom Reboot|

I don't have a /bin folder nor a reboot file anywhere??

I believe the cpa command starts the NMEA frames and starts sending them out or logging them for output.

Also no diferance if AppPort = 2001 or not
also for your info you can add a *.bmp file along with the *.cap file and add it to this line
COMMAND|CMD|Start|*.bmp|Bluetooth Console|
This will let you create a icon instead of using the ?mark
bitmap should be 74x51 pix in 256 colors

I believe the cpa command starts the NMEA frames and starts sending them out or logging them for output.

I'm not 100% sure but it doesn't look like cpa is a valid linux/unix command. The closest one is cp meaning copy. I thought cpa would mean copy all but I guess not. In any case that didn't work, cat does.

I was using hyper terminal private edtion and that seem to work for me.

Also no diferance if AppPort = 2001 or not
also for your info you can add a *.bmp file along with the *.cap file and add it to this line
COMMAND|CMD|Start|*.bmp|Bluetooth Console|
This will let you create a icon instead of using the ?mark
bitmap should be 74x51 pix in 256 colors

Yup, knew that already thanks though :D

Ask a Question