TT1 3rd Edition vs. LE?

I read somewhere that the SD slot is for adding maps (i.e. europe, asia, etc.); w/ regular TT3 you'd have to dump what's on the drive and replace the content on the drive with the other maps you want.:)

You can also do what I did... Install a 2GB card ($10-$15) and install the 7.10 maps and virtually every POI list, map coloration file and voice you can find without having to worry about running out of space like you would on the built-in memory.

When you load up the 2g. card with all that data does it slow down the TT?
Have you used the "Ininerary" function? Do you like it? Do you have the option of just loading POI's and itinerary routes on the 2g. card?

Thanks,

Jim

When you load up the 2g. card with all that data does it slow down the TT?
Have you used the "Ininerary" function? Do you like it? Do you have the option of just loading POI's and itinerary routes on the 2g. card?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I actually purchased a little higher speed card to insure the card performance wouldn't interfere with the speed of the GPS....I haven't noticed any performance change and I've only been using my 2G Sandisk Ultra II card.

Itinerary function hasn't been used yet, but I will definitely do that on long trips that I want to 'force' the TomTom to use certain roads.

You really don't have the option of loading the POIs and itinerary routes on the 2G card because the TomTom ONLY uses either the internal memory or the card. If the card is installed, the TomTom ignores the internal memory.

Scott,

Thanks, that cleared up quite a few questions, but, ( there is ALWAYS a "but") the 2/4g. SD card...It is only used for, maps of Europe? Or load it up with maps,voices (like Genius of Love said) and don't use the internal memory at all?

Jim

Scott,

Thanks, that cleared up quite a few questions, but, ( there is ALWAYS a "but") the 2/4g. SD card...It is only used for, maps of Europe? Or load it up with maps,voices (like Genius of Love said) and don't use the internal memory at all?

Jim

Ahhhh, I must have misunstood your question. I have everything on the SD card: Operating System, Maps of Guam & USA_and_Canada, POIs, voices, car icons, etc.

In fact, you NEED the Operating System on the SD card or it won't work. I simply backup my TomTom ONE LE to the PC, plugged the SD card directly into my computer's SD card Reader, and copied all of the directories and files that were backup up.

Plugged the SD card into the TomTom and booted up...TomTom automatically used the SD card and all its files...

The internal memory is totally ignored with the SD card in the slot. Think of it like the memory in the TomTom is like the 'built in hard drive" on a computer and the SD card is the new hard drive you installed to replace the built in hard drive....needs the O/S and all programs...

Last edited:
"The fog has lifted"......... I understand, except for "Maps of Guam"?...:)

Thanks, that cleared everything up, I'll get a high speed 2G card...

Jim

"The fog has lifted"......... I understand, except for "Maps of Guam"?...:)

I think TomTom is trying to promote Guam's tourism...

I'm sure it's a nice country and all, but aren't Jamaica & the Bahamas more popular choices? (besides Puerto Rico, which is already included).

EDIT: I guess Guam is a very US-friendly country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guam

Last edited:
Apparently the road system on Guam is so vast and complex that the citizens demanded that TomTom provide them with maps.:p

Seriously though, I wish that TomTom would concentrate on giving us maps of Mexico or Greece, rather than far-flung places like Guam. The Guam map was the first thing I deleted off my unit.

Another reason is that some maps (such as the full North American maps) take up MORE than 1G......like 1.6G! and you can never install them on a 1G internal memory.

What is the difference between full North American maps (1.6G) and the USA_and_Canada maps (<1G) loaded on my TT One v3?

What is the difference between full North American maps (1.6G) and the USA_and_Canada maps (<1G) loaded on my TT One v3?

The NA maps are for the higher end models and include text to speech files. They also include greater detail, like more unnamed roads

Ask a Question