TT1 3rd Edition vs. LE?

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom 1 LE
What is the difference between these? They are both on sale, but I found a place that is selling the LE with a case and home charger, both are priced at $149..

Thanks,

Jim

Oh the eternal question. I went through countless hours researching this before I bought my LE.

Key differences:
* LE has SD slot for expandability
* LE has Bluetooth capability
* LE has, by default, many more menu options such as "Manage POIs" and "Itinerary Planning"
* 3rd edition does have a connector on the bottom for an optional antenna for TMC traffic updates.

Another simple comparison: HERE

Also NOTE: I physically played with both of these and the performance was identical (I mapped a trace between a spot in Vermont and a spot in Michigan and they took the exact same time to generate a route). I personally think TomTom went backwards with the 3rd edition versus the LE.

Last edited:
From what I've read, the LE also features multi-stop trip routing, where the v3 can only handle one destination at a time...

Yup, that was the "Itinerary Planning" I mentioned above. The LE can perform that, but the 3rd edition only has the "Prepare Route" feature that only allows you to have one stop. (the LE has both of these icons)

According to bestbuy web site, LE has 5 million POIs while 3rd editionas has over 2 milion POIs. Can anyone verify if this is accurate ?

According to bestbuy web site, LE has 5 million POIs while 3rd editionas has over 2 milion POIs. Can anyone verify if this is accurate ?

My LE box doesn't give an exact POI number..it just states "millions of preloaded points of interest". The "documentation" included also doesn't give a number.

The POI's in the map. The LE and the 3rd edition, after the map update, are both using the same maps so they both would have the same number of POI's.

This is what was explained to me and makes sense.

Dave

So, the LE would be the model to go with because of the optional SD slot, right? Other than (as far as maps go) they have the same ones right? What is the SD slot used for if all the maps are on the unit and you can upgrade the maps via the USB connection to your PC?

Thanks,

Jim

So, the LE would be the model to go with because of the optional SD slot, right? Other than (as far as maps go) they have the same ones right? What is the SD slot used for if all the maps are on the unit and you can upgrade the maps via the USB connection to your PC?

Thanks,

Jim

No advantage really if all you do is get the USA and Canada maps. That map will always be <1GB since the 3rd edition cannot be expanded. POI's don't seem to take up much room either.

Note that if you do use the SD card on the LE, you bypass the internal memory. So 1GB SD card does nothing for you either.

Dave
(using a 2GB SD card in his LE but doesn't know why)

Dave,

Soooo what do you use the 2g card for? Besides that I have been readiing that the LE has a more robust menu with options like being able to set up an intinerary for multiple stops (not available on any other TT1?). We have an RV and thought that alone would be worth fiinding an LE so I could plan long trips on the PC with multiple stops then just upload it to the LE and hit the road...

Thanks,

Jim

Dave,

Soooo what do you use the 2g card for? Besides that I have been readiing that the LE has a more robust menu with options like being able to set up an intinerary for multiple stops (not available on any other TT1?). We have an RV and thought that alone would be worth fiinding an LE so I could plan long trips on the PC with multiple stops then just upload it to the LE and hit the road...

Thanks,

Jim

The SD slot can be used for a number of reasons. If you continue to download many many points of interestes and customize icons, etc., you could eventually fill up the 1G internal memory.

The more likely reason, however, to have the expandable slot is to allow easy interchangeability between maps. For example, the TomTom ONE LE comes with the USA_and_Canada maps on the internal memory. Let's say you wanted to purchase the European maps because you were going there on vacation. On a device that only had internal memory, you would have to offload the USA_and_Canada maps to your PC to free up the internal memory and then load up only the European maps.....not very convenient and you wouldn't have access to the USA_and_Canada maps.

However, if you put the European maps on an SD card and left the USA_and_Canada maps on the internal memory, you could simply plug and unplug the SD card to have access to the extra maps.

Another reason is that some maps (such as the full North American maps) take up MORE than 1G......like 1.6G! and you can never install them on a 1G internal memory.

Thanks for the input on the SD slot. Besides that I like the idea of an "intinerary" option, we have an RV and that would come in handy when putting together trips....
When you register the LE on TT Home, do you just register it as a v.3? I notice the LE is not listed on the TT web site..
I just got back from Best Buy and they have (3) LE's coming in tonight, one of the guys there is going to call me so I can come down and get one...at $139.00

Jim

Hey Jim, hope you were able to pick up your new Tom Tom ONE tonight. If I were you, I would register your unit as a ONE New Edition. That's the closest to what you have. I have heard that the LE is basically a V2 with some new parts. Hope you enjoy it on those RV trips!

I got it, (1) of (3) at that store.....But, since it is a Christmas present I can't play with it till Christmas day....Tomorrow I'm going to find the home charger and carry case......

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim, hope you were able to pick up your new Tom Tom ONE tonight. If I were you, I would register your unit as a ONE New Edition. That's the closest to what you have. I have heard that the LE is basically a V2 with some new parts. Hope you enjoy it on those RV trips!

You are correct. When you assign the TomTom ONE LE to your account, they give you icons of the different models, including TomTom ONE 3rd Ed and TomTom One New Edition. Choose TomTom New Edition. When browsing through their support forum, however, you'll need to choose the 2nd Edition.

Oh, and when you are assigning the LE to your account, when you click the NEW EDITION icon, scroll to the bottom of the page and it will ask you what software version you have....choose the 7.xxxxx version.

Here is directly from the "TomTom's Mouth":
Subject
What exactly is my TomTom ONE LE????

Discussion Thread
Response (ST Laura) 12/11/2007 10:16 AM

Dear Scott,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Laura. I am happy to assist you with this matter. It is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. I understand from reading your email that you are trying to associate your One Limited Edition to your TomTom.com account.

Your device is considered a One 2nd edition or New edition is the option you may get. Make sure you are selecting the correct software version before inputting the device code.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Laura and the TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 12/06/2007 11:08 PM
I purchased a TomTom ONE LE, Device ID: AKXAUB2CR6.

When trying to lookup support and ALSO trying to add this device to MY PRODUCTS, I have no idea what to select.

In Support, I see a 3rd Edition and a 2nd Edition ONE. I know this isn't a third, so would I select 2nd Edition ONE to find support?

For the MY PRODUCTS, the images show a 3rd Edition, 2nd Edition, and New Edition ONE. Is this considered a NEW EDITION?

ALSO, when I tried my Device ID in the product ID line, it didn't accept the numbers. What exact numbers is the website looking for for the PRODUCT ID? The Product name I used was TomTom ONE LE, but I don't think that was causing the issue.

If you can answer the above questions, I would greatly appreciate it because I'm sure there are a LOT of people that bought this Limited Edition TomTom that are equally confused.

GREAT PRODUCT, by the way!

Thanks in advance for your help,

I got it, (1) of (3) at that store.....But, since it is a Christmas present I can't play with it till Christmas day....Tomorrow I'm going to find the home charger and carry case......

Thanks,

Jim

Here is a recommendation I have for everyone with respect to a home charger. ALL of my portable devices need a home charger (cell phone, GPS, MP3 player, etc).

MY SOLUTION? I only buy a car charger. For $3, yes Three US Dollars, at Big Lots, I purchased an AC to DC cigarette style adapter that accepts the car charger in a home wall socket. It works with every car charging plug I own....therefore, I only need the supplied car charger that came with the TomTom and I can charge it in my home wall socket.

adapter1.jpg

adapter2.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks,

Jim

I read somewhere that the SD slot is for adding maps (i.e. europe, asia, etc.); w/ regular TT3 you'd have to dump what's on the drive and replace the content on the drive with the other maps you want.:)

Ask a Question