TT with Nav to Lat/Long

TomTom Model(s)
Go720, XXL550TM
Just bought the XXL550TM b/c it was on sale on Black Friday. If I were a newbie to GPS, this would work fine BUT I need the same functions as my old GP730. Which is the ability to navigate to latitude/longitude and to mark POI with vicinity sound.
It looks like I can hack the menu on the 550 to get the sound alerts, but can do nothing about the nav to Lat/Long.
So I am going to return it or give it to a family member.

What recent TT's have the Nav to Lat/Long function?
Does the XXL540TM have this function?

Stay away from ANY of the units with the two-button main screen (the dreaded EasyMenu). None of those models include direct navigation to coordinates.

[..] I need the same functions as my old GP730. Which is the ability to navigate to latitude/longitude [..]

What recent TT's have the Nav to Lat/Long function?
Does the XXL540TM have this function?

I was a newbie a year ago, so it didn't enter my head that there could ever exist a GPS that's designed not to navigate to latitude/longitude.

"Global position" means latitude + longitude, so I've been cheated and want my money back.

I posted this a while ago, and since the question is still running we can presume that TT don't mind at all what their customers think.

thank you to all who replied. I bought the TTXXL540TM on amazon (on sale this week for $90) Very happy with it. does Nav to lat/Long and itinerary routing. I bought a Pro-Clip mount and cradle.
I returned the TTXXL550TM to Radio Shack.I explained why the 550TM was a lousy product and I wanted to return it for a refund. I explained the Easy menu's was the worst thing about it. The Salesman replied that everyone wants something simple now and the two buttons was the wave of the future. NOT ME! They told me they were going to charge a $15 restocking fee to return it. but when the refund rang up, there was no restock fee.

Once again, TomTom made a stupid marketing decision when they named the model 550. A consumer would naturally assume that the number (550) reflected an improvement over an existing model (540) when it really wasn't in most areas.

The Salesman replied that everyone wants something simple now and the two buttons was the wave of the future.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there...

In all my dealings with TomTom, I'm constantly battling against their endless drive to "simplify" everything. Every feature that isn't simple navigation has been stripped out, and even the words they use on the menus keep getting "dumbed down".

I reckon they must have had focus-group sessions with some of the most clueless people on the planet and then accepted their limitations as Gospel. :mad:

Ask a Question