Latest Navcore update is terrible on my Tomtom XL s Live

Hi,

I have a TT XL S Live IQ routes edition. Purchased in the USA in Feb 2010.

The day I bought it, I updated it via TT Home to Navcore 8.562.

Map version was 8.40. (usa canada and mexico - unsimplified version)

It then worked flawlessly for me for two weeks while travelling around the USA.

I was very happy with it and it was fast and responsive.

I live in Australia so when I returned, I was happy to find that the Live services still operate correctly when I am operating the unit through the "Operate my XL" function on TT Home. It gave me all live services, weather, google search etc, and live traffic. (I use those to plan future trips to the USA.)

I updated to Map 8.45 in April and again the unit worked flawlessly.

A week ago Map 8.50 was released -

navcore 9.053 was also released and I installed it to my device (map 8.50 will not work with navcore 8.562)

Anyway, 9.053 has caused my Tomtom to become a totally unresponsive slug.

Key presses are barely registered, or sometimes registered too many times..

For example... under 8.562, when searching for a POI in a city.. eg, Denver..

as I typed D, then E, then N etc, the cities would appear immediately, and the keystrokes workied perfectly. Usually Denver would appear before I had even finished tyipng the full word..

Now under Navcore 9.053 it barely registers the keystroke, and sometimes pressing a letter once will cause it to appear 3 times a few seconds later...

IE press D... wait 3 seconds and DDD appears...

So I SLOWLY have to type DENVER, and after the full word is in the search box, it then takes up to 30 seconds for the actual city to appear..

Also when planning routes, the device is now 3 times SLOWER..

I have tried restoring the original 8.562 and that works perfectly, fast and responsive again.

However this prevents me from upgrading to the latest maps (which I have paid for the latest map udtate service)

Does anyone have the same experience?

Also, the 9.053 firmware is not yet supported by TT Home in the "Operate my XL" function.

Can someone advise how long it usually takes before they provide this functionality after updating a navcore?

I am staying with navcore 8.562 and Map 8.45 for the moment... but if others are having a similar problem with 9.053 pelase let me know and I can go back to TomTom armed with this info...

Regards

Rob

Last edited:
I guess a call to Aussie support may be necessary.........

Also, I have app 9.053 on my 540 and it is slower to type in information (not necessarily 30 seconds as you describe but slower) than earlier apps.

And screen rewriting of the route planned is slower as well. Tomtom knows about this.

Hopefully, a newer app will be released for these models.

Last edited:
Video of App 9.053 Problems

Ok, I made a series of videos demonstrating the problem with the new Navcore on my TT XL Live..

This was done for the benefit of Tomtom support tech who are looking into the problem for me.

I have 5 videos,

The first four show you how slow the 9.053 app is.. and a few comparisons to a Go950.

YouTube - Problems with Tomtom XL Live with App 9.053 Part 1

YouTube - Problems with Tomtom XL Live latest Navcore 9.053 side by side with a Go 950 Part 2

YouTube - Navcore 9.053 Problems with Tomtom XL Live vs Go 950 Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTDhISTeS7k

In this final video I have reloaded the 8.562 Navcore - you will see the unit works fast and key presses are reliable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PNBIgamx2I

Last edited:
Exactly same problem with TomTom Start

Hi. I have exactly the same problem with my TomTom Start after updating to 9.053 from 8.544. This update was suggested by TomTom Home and unfortunately I accepted it.

Have you had any suggestions how to solve this? My TomTom reacts (or rather doesn?t react ; - ))) in exactly the same way as yours.

How did you reload the 8.544?

Last edited:
I hadn't taken the time to watch the videos posted by Rob2160 until just now. DHN, is your experience with the 9.x app update anywhere near the same as his? Incredibly poor device response in the videos. If it's anywhere near typical, then users should be cautioned against updating for now.

The screen rewrite of the routes planned is somewhat slow on the 540 with that app (especially for long trips) but I haven't found it horrendous........

But I don't have the LIVE model, just the 540 WTE

Last edited:
Hi. I have exactly the same problem with my TomTom Start after updating to 9.053 from 8.544. This update was suggested by TomTom Home and unfortunately I accepted it.

Have you had any suggestions how to solve this? My TomTom reacts (or rather doesn?t react ; - ))) in exactly the same way as yours.

How did you reload the 8.544?

Try these steps - depending on your model, you'll probably get app 8.544 installed, and it will prompt for a second install to 9.053. If you decline the second install you'll stay on app 8.544.

Ok, I made a series of videos demonstrating the problem with the new Navcore on my TT XL Live..

I similarly took a look at the videos, and they are a great demonstration of the reduction in speed in app 9.x vs 8.x. This happens on all devices after an upgrade, you'll see numerous complaints on the ONE/XL non-live models who had the same upgrade last November.

A couple of points on your video:

1) There was a substantial reduction in map-drawing speed with app 9.x. On your video, you don't need to wait for the map to draw, you can start navigating once the route is complete and the "Done" appears (just tap "Done"). It can save you substantial waiting time, but I agree there really shouldn't be a need to wait that long.

2) The search algorithm in app 9.x is upgraded and can find things like "seattle" when you type "seettle". The 8.x search algorithm was a strict substring search, so it couldn't find the above result. While that's a good added feature, the downside is significantly slower search result calculations.

Also, note that you can change from USA on the right to a specific state, and it will remember that state just like it remembers countries in Europe. If you had switched to Illinois before searching for Chicago, the results would have shown up much much quicker.

Thank you, MVL. I removed the new firmware as you suggested (over TomTom Home). The program than suggested installation of navcore 8.544, which I accepted. After a restart everything works fine. My TomTom is back to the very speedy suggestion of towns and streets when I start typing a destination - also it recognizes the letters typed immediately, whereas there was a more than 1 second delay before.

So I am happy and tahnkful. I lost my "favorites", but I can live with typing them in again. Also I must be careful when connecting to TomTom Home, as it now suggests an update to Navcore 9.053....

I was wondering what was going on with this update!

I also noticed that the 2D/Birds Eye View maps no longer auto zoom. I have had to switch back to the 3D map because it is too much of a pain to have to keep changing the zoom

I was wondering what was going on with this update!

I also noticed that the 2D/Birds Eye View maps no longer auto zoom. I have had to switch back to the 3D map because it is too much of a pain to have to keep changing the zoom

On the European x50 models with 9.053, there is Autozoom preferences under "advanced preferences" in the last screen of the Preferences menu.

I've never seen a XL Live with the 9.053, but perhaps there's a setting to re-enable it there.

On the European x50 models with 9.053, there is Autozoom preferences under "advanced preferences" in the last screen of the Preferences menu.

I've never seen a XL Live with the 9.053, but perhaps there's a setting to re-enable it there.

Checked, there is no option on the XL Live with 9.053

I just installed 9.053 and lost my voice but noticed the refresh time in drawing the map is almost instant which is great. Backing up the device now then will see what I can do.

When updating to 9.053 home gave error in the middle of installation but the device shows the new version even the look is new as well. so not sure what happened.

uninstalled the application and had to install the previous 2 versions and install the new one 3 time until it worked. Redrawing is much better than before, even satellite acquisition looks faster and the whole thing is faster now.

Ask a Question