TT Maps on sale...and a question...

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
Just an FYI for all:

Noticed today (maybe it's been up for a while and I just noticed it), BUT
the TT NA Map is on sale for $79.00 (regular price $119, i think).

Question: If I make the plunge, will this give me lane guidance if it is supported in my area?

Device particulars in my sig....

ALG represents two different things: arrows representing the number of lanes on the multilane highway and reality view which consists of a static image representing the scenery where the highway splits direction.

TT is rather silent, when it offers map updates, on the locations it has made changes. Some suggest going to a web site to know wether changes have been made for a particular location. What we don't know is how current the site is, how often it is updated and if, what you see on a particular date, will make it in their next map update.

When TT gets new maps from TeleAtlas, it manipulates the data for some time before releasing them to their users. It used to take TT about 3 months from the receipt of maps to their being offered to us. It may be shorter now but there is a time gap.

While the rebate makes updating enticing at the moment, it is important to know the next update is supposed to incorporate major MapShare updates reported by users. How significant this is going to be for the majority of us remains to be seen but I am hopeful it will be. The other aspect is the rumour mill has it we could be offered a map update plan that would significantly reduce the cost of map updates such as presently offered in the EU.

You don't mention where you live nor does it appear in your poster id. That makes it hard to guess wether ALG appears in your area. For me, the closest ALG would be in a very smaller town (Binghampton, NY) than Montreal and only the next upgrade is supposed to incorporate a few ALG in my country...

ALG represents two different things: arrows representing the number of lanes on the multilane highway and reality view which consists of a static image representing the scenery where the highway splits direction.

TT is rather silent, when it offers map updates, on the locations it has made changes. Some suggest going to a web site to know wether changes have been made for a particular location. What we don't know is how current the site is, how often it is updated and if, what you see on a particular date, will make it in their next map update.

When TT gets new maps from TeleAtlas, it manipulates the data for some time before releasing them to their users. It used to take TT about 3 months from the receipt of maps to their being offered to us. It may be shorter now but there is a time gap.

While the rebate makes updating enticing at the moment, it is important to know the next update is supposed to incorporate major MapShare updates reported by users. How significant this is going to be for the majority of us remains to be seen but I am hopeful it will be. The other aspect is the rumour mill has it we could be offered a map update plan that would significantly reduce the cost of map updates such as presently offered in the EU.

You don't mention where you live nor does it appear in your poster id. That makes it hard to guess wether ALG appears in your area. For me, the closest ALG would be in a very smaller town (Binghampton, NY) than Montreal and only the next upgrade is supposed to incorporate a few ALG in my country...

Excellent input... Thank You.

I live in SW Ohio. I'll dig around and figure out where to update that info in my profile...

Just an FYI for all:

Noticed today (maybe it's been up for a while and I just noticed it), BUT
the TT NA Map is on sale for $79.00 (regular price $119, i think).

Question: If I make the plunge, will this give me lane guidance if it is supported in my area?

Device particulars in my sig....
You shouldn't have problems with that in the States.
It didn't work with my 805 map but they said it would work with the 2nd one after (not the 810 but the 815).
I called them , they said it worked so I had them put that map on my machine.

I have not seen it in Toronto. I have seen it in the Albany, NY area but only the lane arrows, not the reality view that had already worked with the 805 map in the UK.

That said I suggest you hold off a bit as the new map cycle calls for early January release which like the last time may stretch into the next month.
This would mean the latest some time in February.

TomTom always has a map sale on just before introduction of the new one. Hopefully that one will include the quarterly update lie the Europeans can enjoy already.

You shouldn't have problems with that in the States.
It didn't work with my 805 map but they said it would work with the 2nd one after (not the 810 but the 815).
I called them , they said it worked so I had them put that map on my machine.

I have not seen it in Toronto. I have seen it in the Albany, NY area but only the lane arrows, not the reality view that had already worked with the 805 map in the UK.

That said I suggest you hold off a bit as the new map cycle calls for early January release which like the last time may stretch into the next month.
This would mean the latest some time in February.

TomTom always has a map sale on just before introduction of the new one. Hopefully that one will include the quarterly update lie the Europeans can enjoy already.

Fair enough... I'll hold off...

I must admit, I am more interested in it to "have the latest". Thus far, the map I have (sig) has done just fine for me. Haven't had any issues at all.

Ask a Question