TT buying advice. 730 vs 920

TomTom Model(s)
TT920T & TT700
I am assisting a co-worker in getting a new TT. I currently use a 920T and a 700. With the exception of the European maps, which TT would you buy now, the 730 or the 920? Thanks for your opinions.

For the same price of GO930 (not GO920), I go for the 930, other than that I go with the 730.
920 has
+ W&CE maps (don't know if I ever be there in the next 4,5 years)
+ remote control (I never use it, don't know what it for, still in plastic wrap)
+ EPT (under Boston BigDig, I'm pretty much on my own anyway, other than that, EPT rarely kicks in)

730 has
+ new maps
+ IQ Routes
+ ALG

For the same price of GO930 (not GO920), I go for the 930, other than that I go with the 730.
920 has
+ W&CE maps (don't know if I ever be there in the next 4,5 years)
+ remote control (I never use it, don't know what it for, still in plastic wrap)
+ EPT (under Boston BigDig, I'm pretty much on my own anyway, other than that, EPT rarely kicks in)

730 has
+ new maps
+ IQ Routes
+ ALG

OTOH, one who buys a new 920 from an approved dealer gets the latest map guarantee, can uprade NavCore to the latest 8 version for free and have the same functionalities as the 930. The 930 would provide a different holder and speaker that are supposed to be an improvement. Since many get third party TT holders for a reasonable cost, I wonder if third party holders are not simply better than whatever TT will try to get us to use.

I thought GO920 comes with v7.10 or v7.20, it will get v7.25 maps in LMG, not v8.10 map.
You maybe right.

my cousin gave me a refurbished tomtom one for christmas..
This introduced me to gps.. In summer I purchased a tomtom 720 from staples.

Then I went to best buy and saw the tomtom 930.. it got me interested
googled tomtom read the forums..

I had some extra money so I returned the 720, and
got the tomtom930.. No more regrets or 'wishing I had that higher model'.

I think the extra feature that attracted me was the 'voice command' which
I end up not using anyway.. other features Like IQ routing and EPT.. and lane guidance I don't remember which one did not come with the 720.

Also the 930 came with a remote control. Quite handy for zooming in and out the map, or for adjusting mp3 volume and tracks.

I thought GO920 comes with v7.10 or v7.20, it will get v7.25 maps in LMG, not v8.10 map.
You maybe right.

AFAIK, there are no North America map v7.25. The next version of NA for GO x20 after version 7.20 is v8.10 which is identical for GO x30 models.

I believe there was a 7.25 map for NA offered. Think it was offered when they pulled firmware 8.010 from x20 users for the couple of weeks.

I am assisting a co-worker in getting a new TT. I currently use a 920T and a 700. With the exception of the European maps, which TT would you buy now, the 730 or the 920? Thanks for your opinions.

i'd say it comes down to what features your coworker values. the 900 models usually have a few more features than the 700 - in the case of the x30s, the 930 has everything the 730 has, along with an extra map of western europe, bluetooth, and enhanced positioning technology.

as for differences between the x20 and the x30 lines, the major differences are as pianoCM said - the latest maps, IQ routes, and advanced lane guidance.

720 --> 730 ??

OTOH, one who buys a new 920 from an approved dealer gets the latest map guarantee, can uprade NavCore to the latest 8 version for free and have the same functionalities as the 930.
Likewise, is it possible to upgrade a 720 to a 730's functionality? What about Remote & iPod controls?

R?

Likewise, is it possible to upgrade a 720 to a 730's functionality? What about Remote & iPod controls?

R?

Both the 720 and 730 share the same Samsung integrated chipset and the new sw and maps making the functionality the same.

AFAIK, the remote is a 9x0 feature.

I'll leave the iPod controls to someone more versed in this as I never expressed any interest in it and rather ignorant about it.

Ask a Question