Tone Dial Keyboard "Not Supported" when in call

Can anyone tell me why when I click on the Tone Dial Keyboard icon in the phone menu during a BT call it says "not supported". Everything else works fine during a call (I connect, make calls, use phone book). So how am I supposed to enter tones for those automatic service calls where it says "Press 1 for English". Is something wrong with my go 920 or am I not setting it up right somewhere?

I just need to be able to press numbers during the call.

Update: I called support and they said its basically related to the fact that my phone is not in their supported list. So I was told to contact my phone cell phone company (yeah like they will do anything). I have a Sprint Mogul (ppc-6800) and although its not supported (by TomTom) I was able to get BT paired up, phonebook and even the data service (weather, traffic working on it.) Yet I can't enter a key tone without pulling my cellphone out of my pocket. Arrggg.

Last edited:
I'm on Verizon with Samsung SCH-u740 and have the same issue. I tried calling my Verizon voicemail (which requires password) and can't enter the numbers via DTMF.

Maybe "DTMF" stands for "Don't Try M.... F....!!!

Yes it is not friendly when it comes to this.
I guess I think of my tomtom has a bluetooth head set. The headset doesn't have a dial pad. I need to use my phone :D

Re: "I called support and they said its basically related to the fact that my phone is not in their supported list."

Well, the iPhone is now officially supported, as I understand it, but the dtmf (dual tone multi-frequency) feature does not work with iPhone.
I am pleased that the speakerphone and phonebook features work, but need that dtmf for all those automated attendants and voicemail systems.

ok now I notice that when I call phone book entries that press a key after a pause to activate an automatic function this never works when calling with TomTom.

Example " 1-888-555-5555,,,3" usually dials phone number then waits three seconds and sends keytone of "3" and all should be fine. This never works when using my phone through tomtom 920

What TT support is saying is true. I have 2 phones, a Samsung SGH-U700 and a Nokia 6310i. The Samsung is not in TT's list of compatible phones but the Nokia is. Both phones work flawlessly with TT Plus services. For arguments sake, I deleted both phones from my device. When re-pairing the phones, the available features were displayed on the screen;

Nokia
6310i.jpg

Samsung
U700.jpg

When the Samsung is the active phone, DTMF does not work whereas it works with the Nokia. SMS sending and receiveng as well as reading aloud the SMS works with the Nokia although not shown as one of the features in the screen. Checking TT's compatibility list indicates that SMS is supported with the Nokia.

I guess TT can't keep up with the number of new phones coming out so quickly.

I'm on Verizon with Samsung SCH-u740 and have the same issue. I tried calling my Verizon voicemail (which requires password) and can't enter the numbers via DTMF.

Maybe "DTMF" stands for "Don't Try M.... F....!!!

I just looked at that phone at a Verizon store. Other than the dtmf issue, you could pair it up fine? Did you try any of the traffic or weather data services?

I never thought sending keypad tone is such a special thing for a BT device to do.

It's not and if the phone can't do it TomTom should do it. Here is what I sent to TT Support.

You've had the V710 listed as supported, although I don't see it any more, and in it works quite well. The only hands-free issue I'm having is during a call when I need to use the Tone Dial Keyboard. My GO920 shows that the Keypad is active but when you press the button it says that the feature is not supported.

Is there anything I'm missing or is there a work around other then use the pad on the phone?

Could you please forward the following to the product development team for review?

Phones that don't support the Tone Dial Keyboard:
TomTom's SHOULD send their own DTMF tones for phone not support it. In fact some would argue it's better for the TomTom to send it's own tones rather than have the phone do it that way there will never be a compatibly issue.

Phone address book:
It seems that the GO920 can't read the address book from my V710. Personally I really don't care since I can create my own contact.txt file and put it on the GO but that got me thinking. Rather than just supporting a very simple address book download from the phone why not support the industry compatible vCards?

To me this makes a lot more sense because not only can you have phone numbers but you can have addresses, the contacts picture and other information. It would be really cool to have the persons picture come up when they call. Combine that with TomTom buddies and you would even know where they're at. You could always keep the existing contact.txt file but have a "vCard" folder which could contain both single and multiple contact vCards. You could also just convert contacts read from the phone to "vCards".

POIs:
On the subject of POIs, I really think TomTom should support the industry standard GPX POI files. GPX files can hold a lot more information about a POI that the current .ov2 format. There are many things that I'd like to add to POIs I create. GPX POIs are the one thing that Garmin has that I miss.

With TomTom Plus TomTom is right on the edge of being able to do may of the thing that Dash Express will be doing. Don't let them steal your cookies.

Has anyone else noticed that when TomTom imports the address book from your phone it fails to import the extra pauses and key tones for those contacts that require a pin code or option selection right after the phone gets answered. On my phone I have numbers like 1-888-555-6666,,,2 (pause for 3 seconds then send 2 key tone) but they show up in TomTom as 1-888-555-6666. So I can't even trick it to send an extra key press while dialing. Argg.

After you load the contacts from the phone take a look at the contacts.txt file.

Is the extra ",,,2" there?

Is the number field surrounded by "'s, i.e., Contact Name,15555551234,,,2 or "Contact Name","15555551234,,,2"? If it's the former add the "'s and try again.

After you load the contacts from the phone take a look at the contacts.txt file.

Is the extra ",,,2" there?

Is the number field surrounded by "'s, i.e., Contact Name,15555551234,,,2 or "Contact Name","15555551234,,,2"? If it's the former add the "'s and try again.

Yeah its there now because as I addeded previously but it still does not show on gps though". It has double quotes around it like all other entries except its like this now since I changed this file last week. This is how it looks : "Contact Name", "555-5555,,,3", "DEFAULT" for that line

Hi Timon,

AFAIK, the DTMF and phonebook issues you talk about are related to the BlueTooth profile implemented by your phones manufacturer/provider, not the TomTom. A TomTom can do both of these things when paired with a compatible phone.

Your phones manufacturer/provider has decided they do not want you to have DTMF tone functionality over BT. You would have to ask them why that is.

I explained why I don't think it would be possible for the TomTom to send DTMF tones in another post; https://www.tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=43469&postcount=29

TomTom should support the industry standard GPX POI files.
FYI, GPX is not an industry standard, it is a proprietary Garmin format! Given that, I can understand TomTom's reluctance.

Spook,

DTMF: See my reply to your other post for details but your not quite correct about DTMF. Believe me it will work just fine through any cellular network.

GPX: It would have been more correct for me to have said GPX is an open standard but it's NOT a Garmin standard. Garmin has it's own extensions which many sites use but GPX is absolutely an open standard from everything that I've read.

The bottom line is that prepriority formats are no longer being accepted as people want to exchange data. Companies that refuse to accept open standards are doing a disservice to their customers and will pay a hard price in the long run. Open standards are now the norm and companies need to get over the NIH, Not Invented Here, syndrome and support them.

Well this TomTom 920 is quite interesting. I like it of course, but I've paired my phone Verizon XV6700 w/ WM6 multiple times. Before it only paired with the ability to do Hands-Free without Data and DTMF. Then enabling the BT DUN feature allowed both to work but no DTMF. Then one day my phone wasn't pairing with the TomTom so I Searched for phones (without deletling the old pair) and it found my phone and this time it had HandsFree, DATA, and DTMF. I was shocked and surprised. This thing keeps up the surprises, the latest I got was my Phone connecting to data without me running the WMODEM program on my phone. ACK!

Well this TomTom 920 is quite interesting. I like it of course, but I've paired my phone Verizon XV6700 w/ WM6 multiple times. Before it only paired with the ability to do Hands-Free without Data and DTMF. Then enabling the BT DUN feature allowed both to work but no DTMF. Then one day my phone wasn't pairing with the TomTom so I Searched for phones (without deletling the old pair) and it found my phone and this time it had HandsFree, DATA, and DTMF. I was shocked and surprised. This thing keeps up the surprises, the latest I got was my Phone connecting to data without me running the WMODEM program on my phone. ACK!

Are you saying that you didn't remove the current phone profile off your GPS? I tried that on my go920 and my Sprint Mogul (ppc-6800) again (I already had hands free, data, phone book but no DTMF). Basically my old profile got over written, I still did not get DTMF and I had to re-configure my data options settings. So I guess you got lucky. I wish there was some rime or reason for this DTMF thing working and not on various phones. I wonder where I go to get a fix for this cause I'm sure its on low priority with TomTom or Sprint to get the GPS using tones on my phone.

Are you saying that you didn't remove the current phone profile off your GPS? I tried that on my go920 and my Sprint Mogul (ppc-6800) again (I already had hands free, data, phone book but no DTMF). Basically my old profile got over written, I still did not get DTMF and I had to re-configure my data options settings. So I guess you got lucky. I wish there was some rime or reason for this DTMF thing working and not on various phones. I wonder where I go to get a fix for this cause I'm sure its on low priority with TomTom or Sprint to get the GPS using tones on my phone.

Well I do recall 2 different things I did when pairing my phone. To get the data I ran the WMODEM app with the BT option which turns on my BT. Then this last time I didn't even run the WMODEM and I just manually turned on the BT from the WirelessManager app. Good Luck!

Ask a Question