Tomtom XXL 550TM Map Loading Problems!!

I recently purchased this XXL 550TM from Best Buy and followed all the instructions for downloading the lifetime map/traffic, however my computer randomly shut off during this process. I'm guessing about 70% of the map got downloaded. I turned on the GPS, selected the USA CANADA and MEXICO map, and this is what it says: "Problem with map. You cannot use this map on this device."

So I went onto TomTom Home 2 > Manage my device > Items on device and I cannot find 'Maps' anywhere. Its only found downloaded on 'Items on computer'

Also, when I tried to download the map again, I got a reply saying not enough memory space.

So what can I do now? Can anyone give me a step by step to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Running on Mac or PC?

Let's be sure 100% of your map is actually on your PC (even though "something" shows up in Home there).

Please navigate to

My Documents/TomTom/HOME/download/complete/map

There should be at least one folder there, likely starting with the words North_America...

If you open that folder, do you find several files there? There should be five of them.

Let's be sure 100% of your map is actually on your PC (even though "something" shows up in Home there).

Please navigate to

My Documents/TomTom/HOME/download/complete/map

There should be at least one folder there, likely starting with the words North_America...

If you open that folder, do you find several files there? There should be five of them.

After I open up the map folder, I see a 'USA_Canada_Mexico' folder and once that's opened, there are two GIF files, two winzip files, and one TOC file.

After I open up the map folder, I see a 'USA_Canada_Mexico' folder and once that's opened, there are two GIF files, two winzip files, and one TOC file.
Excellent. I take it one of the zip files is called activation.zip. Sounds like all of your map was successfully downloaded and that your computer went to "sleep mode" while the data was being sent to your TomTom.

OK -

Life is easy since you have a TM model and will always have a map available to you.

I want you to go back to your TomTom and look for the folder called USA_Canada_Mexico there. Delete that folder in its entirety. Checkpoint: how much memory does your TomTom appear to have at that point? Check it by going to My Computer and checking the properties on the "external drive" that is in fact your TomTom.

If there's enough memory at that point (we'll have to discuss that) you will go to Home and try to load the map on your PC to your TomTom.

Excellent. I take it one of the zip files is called activation.zip. Sounds like all of your map was successfully downloaded and that your computer went to "sleep mode" while the data was being sent to your TomTom.

OK -

Life is easy since you have a TM model and will always have a map available to you.

I want you to go back to your TomTom and look for the folder called USA_Canada_Mexico there. Delete that folder in its entirety. Checkpoint: how much memory does your TomTom appear to have at that point? Check it by going to My Computer and checking the properties on the "external drive" that is in fact your TomTom.

If there's enough memory at that point (we'll have to discuss that) you will go to Home and try to load the map on your PC to your TomTom.

Earlier I plugged in my TomTom and turned it on. I got a message saying 'Checking Disk TomTom' on the top and the body was 'Check disk options: Automatically fix file system options, Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' so I checked both and its been at it for a while. Should I cancel and do what you said above or wait it out and do what you said above ... ?

Earlier I plugged in my TomTom and turned it on. I got a message saying 'Checking Disk TomTom' on the top and the body was 'Check disk options: Automatically fix file system options, Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' so I checked both and its been at it for a while. Should I cancel and do what you said above or wait it out and do what you said above ... ?
Ugh - wish I'd had that bit of info from the get go.

Look - your TM subscription will probably save you in the end. Believe it or not, as long as you've got one full uncorrupted copy of a map somewhere (and I believe you have one on your PC), you could pretty well wipe the entire unit and still be functional when we're done. It will even reload its own application off the TomTom server automatically if need be.

As we don't know how long the process you've initiated will take, and since I have no idea what will be found and potentially deleted as a consequence of that, I think we should bag this for tonight, let Win7 do whatever damage it thinks it can, and pursue this again tomorrow with me or one of the other guys here.

Our objective will be to try to get your TomTom talking to Home again and reload what appears to be a perfectly good map on your PC back to your TomTom. This may entail killing off an extraneous voice or two. In fact, you'll really want to take all of the smaller (0.7MB) voices and copy them off to your PC with home to get them out of the way, and then assure that you only have ONE of the computer (47MB) voices remaining. That may in itself free up all the requisite memory for reloading the map.

Ugh - wish I'd had that bit of info from the get go.

Look - your TM subscription will probably save you in the end. Believe it or not, as long as you've got one full uncorrupted copy of a map somewhere (and I believe you have one on your PC), you could pretty well wipe the entire unit and still be functional when we're done. It will even reload its own application off the TomTom server automatically if need be.

As we don't know how long the process you've initiated will take, and since I have no idea what will be found and potentially deleted as a consequence of that, I think we should bag this for tonight, let Win7 do whatever damage it thinks it can, and pursue this again tomorrow with me or one of the other guys here.

Our objective will be to try to get your TomTom talking to Home again and reload what appears to be a perfectly good map on your PC back to your TomTom. This may entail killing off an extraneous voice or two. In fact, you'll really want to take all of the smaller (0.7MB) voices and copy them off to your PC with home to get them out of the way, and then assure that you only have ONE of the computer (47MB) voices remaining. That may in itself free up all the requisite memory for reloading the map.

My apologies. I started that about 15 minutes ago. I'll do what you stated above afterwards and update this. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question