Tomtom web based maps

Hi

with all these map updates and so on, wouldn't be nice that TomTom would provide a web-version of their map, so anyone can go there and check if it has the needed updates.
As other people I bought my 810 version in September, and now I see the new version even cheaper. So I'm thinking to upgrade it, but I want to make sure they updated the streets that I know are closed in their maps. (i.e. maps from Navteq do not have that problem)
So, I want to see a web-version where I can go and check what is new in the newly released version. Wouldn't this be good for all of us?
Btw, anyone knows a web-service that uses TeleAtlas for North America maps. Both Google and Yahoo uses Navteq.
And btw, I have a feeling that Navteq is widely used for North America, and TeleAtlas for Europe. Does anyone else have this feeling?

Google also uses TeleAtlas for their mapping. But yeah, it sure would be nice if TT had a link so the user could see in advance whether a new map purchase is worthwhile. But, of course, that might reduce sales, eh? :rolleyes:

I think that Google maps have switched over to Tele Atlas??

A few months ago when I went to Google Maps in the bottom right hand corner it would say powered by Navteq it now shows powered by Tele Atlas

This all being said when I go to Google maps (Powered BY Tele Atlas) and look at the area I go to in Florida I see a correction that was made since Google maps started using Tele Atlas that was corrected when they still used Navteq however when I look at the map 8.10 or 8.15 this correction still doesn't show soooooo that would tell me that the latest TT maps are not always as up to date as what you see in Google Maps

@Garcor,

When TT gets its maps from TA, it goes into a farily long process of manipulating the data for what used to take about 3 months before releasing the maps to their users. The maps need to fit 3 distinct classes of models: USA & Canada for ONE models with 1GB of internal memory; NA for GO 7x0 with 2GB of internal memory and finally NA for the GO 9x0 with 4GB of internal memory. Google does not have those memory size restrictions and the data does not need as much manipulating before being released and therefore can be much more up-to-date than TT's maps. Also, Google maps don't feature any Advanced Speech Recognition, ALG nor IQR2 routing...

@Garcor as well:

This article will give you the full details of Google's agreement with Tele Atlas (TomTom's map data supplier): http://www.unwiredview.com/2008/06/30/new-google-tele-atlas-deal-will-give-users-improved-maps-chance-to-change-the-world/

But in short, The Google Maps do give you a good idea of how the Newest TomTom map will look. It's not a hard and fast rule, but the Google Maps are nearly identical to the most recent TomTom maps, since Tele Atlas is providing their map data to both companies.

Ask a Question