* TOMTOM Via 620 help *

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 620
Sorry I put this post in the wrong area I'm new :confused: so I'll post it here... again sorry to the MODS ..

Hi guys, not sure where to put this I just joined, I just purchased a VIA 620 and there is no split screen option ? I've seen screen shots on the web with units displaying split screen, I go to advanced settings where it should be and it's not there ? I live in Australia by the way, any suggestions out there ? I'm loving this unit ! cheers.. :)

Do you have the latest application for the device? Are you sure that model does have split screen? Do you have the current (900) map for the device?

Hi dhn, I just purchased it tonight and registered for the free map upgrades, the message I got was in 28 days I will be eligible for the map up grade, it has the original software at the moment, I live in Australia and don't know if we have that option here ? thx for replying..

You should be able to get the 900 map now. That model needs MyTomTom (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted) and connect your unit to the computer, the MyTomTom screen should open and you can log in with your email address/password. See if a newer application is available when you click on Manage content in the green MyTomTom box on the top right of the MyTomTom screen.

I think that Aussie maps have split screen functionality.

Hi dhn, I did the upgrade to the 900 map and also loaded the speed and safety camera up gade, so my VIA 620 is fully up to date, I looked for the split screen option but it's still not there, I can only assume Australian units do not have this option, rather misleading advertizing on tom toms behalf as they advertize this split screen on all their advertisements, maybe after the 28 day waiting period when I can load the latest maps it will be available ? some how I doubt it, I'll post here after then if there's any change, thx again dhn for your help, catch you soon, cheers..

I know what split screen looks like and it is a nice feature to have.

Here is the number for Australia CS: 1300 135 604

Give them a call and see if your model has it and, if so, how to make it work on your device.

Hi dhn, I asked the same question on another tom tom forum and this is the answer I received...

I'm in the UK, on my Via 120 Europe Live there is not a option for a split screen the whole of the screen is switched over to the Lane Guidance as you approach and then back to the Navigation screen as you take the turn.

I think in the image they are trying to show a comparison on how Lane Guidance makes a complicated junctions easer.

You don't get a split screen the whole screen switches over to Lane Guidance and then back the the Navigate Screen.

You definitely don't get split-screen ALG in the UK or Europe yet.

You do get it in the US and some Asian countries. The question is whether Australasia has been included in the "Asia" market.

Hi Andy, I'm convinced Australia does not have this , if we had this feature I would have it now after doing all the up grades available from my tomtom site tonight, I would love to have this feature as I'm sure everyone would ! lol Australia doesn't fall with in the Asian market it seems... :(

I can confirm 100% that the Via 620 (Australia) has the split screen feature.

There is no setting for it, it automatically appears as you are driving. Last night for instance driving to the city, on 3 occasions where the road split the split screen appeared, Map to the left, Photo to the right. The great thing was, on the way back which was after dark, the photos/images were of how it looks at night as well, right down to the street lights.

So long as you have the latest map, it will just happen.

HTH

There is no setting for it, it automatically appears as you are driving. Last night for instance driving to the city, on 3 occasions where the road split the split screen appeared, Map to the left, Photo to the right. The great thing was, on the way back which was after dark, the photos/images were of how it looks at night as well, right down to the street lights.
I am surprised to hear that there is no setting.

My unit with the split screen is a GO LIVE 1535, and I suppose that it may work differently than your GO 620, but this device gives me the option of a split screen for lane guidance, a full (non-split) screen, or no lane guidance.

On my 1535 this choice is found by selecting Settings --> Advanced Settings. If my memory is correct, the default setting was to use the split screen. I happen to prefer the full screen display because of my eyesight, so I changed it.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

On my 1535 this choice is found by selecting Settings --> Advanced Settings. If my memory is correct, the default setting was to use the split screen. I happen to prefer the full screen display because of my eyesight, so I changed it.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I will double check again if it can be disabled, my main reason for responding was to confirm that yes, the split screen was there. I only used it for the first time 2 days ago after handing over my GO730 to my partner, and given I never used any of the Hands Free/Bluetooth features on the GO model, plus liked the bigger screen, the Via 620 was a great buy (at a discounted price as well).

@ -et-
FWIW, his Via 620 is supposed to be the same as my/our Via 1605, and it's configurable just as you described in "Advanced settings".

@ -et-
FWIW, his Via 620 is supposed to be the same as my/our Via 1605, and it's configurable just as you described in "Advanced settings".
I sometimes wish that your use of "our" Via 1605 applied to me literally. The larger screen and some of the other characteristics of the 1605 that you have described in the past keep tempting me to buy one. So far, I have resisted spending the money, but I have to admit that if TomTom were to introduce a LIVE version of the 1605, I would have a major problem keeping my wallet in my pocket.

With best wishes,
- Tom-

Can't tell you how many messages and PM's I've left "elsewhere" trying to encourage them to create a Live version of the Via1605 / Via620 / Start60. You'd love the screen. Shame it's feature thin compared to some of the others. I use my GO Live 1535 (a Via in disguise) more often than the others for 'real' navigation, but would swap positions with the 1605 in a heartbeat it if was featured the way the 1535 is.

Actually bought a pair of winter gloves with 'conductive tips' today to operate other stuff. Love that the 1605 is still resistive.

Sorry I put this post in the wrong area I'm new :confused: so I'll post it here... again sorry to the MODS ..

Hi guys, not sure where to put this I just joined, I just purchased a VIA 620 and there is no split screen option ? I've seen screen shots on the web with units displaying split screen, I go to advanced settings where it should be and it's not there ? I live in Australia by the way, any suggestions out there ? I'm loving this unit ! cheers.. :)

I just purchased the same model. Went for a drive just to get used to the system. The split screen did appear when I was veering off the highway and then resumed normal screen once I had turned into my correct lane. At that stage I had not really done any changes to the device.

For info... for some bizarre reason, split screen operation has only been enabled in some countries. We have not seen it in Europe at all yet.

Ask a Question