Tomtom randomly freeezes and re-boots

Hello all.

I have had a tomtom one xl for just over 1 year...and a good while back it started doing the follwing..

Freezing at tomtom screen when turning it on.

Randomly freezing whilst navigating.

Rebooting itself whilst navigating.

When it freezes the only way to turn it off is with the reset button and even then it can take upto 4/5 attenpts to get it started without freezing. Tomtom say its a software problem ?

I have done all the things tomtom have emailed me to do and non of them have worked.:mad:

It works for a few days them starts playing up again..

map uk and irland v675.1409
gps v1.21, boot 5.3026

version 8.010

Can anyone sort my problem or do i ahve to buy a cheapo nav-man again that ironically never let me down once.

Cheers

Last edited:
Two things:

1) Try an SD card, maybe your internal memory is becoming old/corrupt. Format a 2gig or smaller SD card as fat32, then copy all the contents of the tomtom memory to the SD card via a windows card reader, then stick the card in the tomtom and start it up.

or

2) Downgrade to the 7.221 version of the application. It is reputed to be a little bit more stable than 8.010.

Everytime i connect to TT home and there is a update i always get it... so i will reset the device and get just stop at 7.221...and see how that goes.

Also i have changed the start up and close down pictures and got them via TT home. Could this have anything to do with it ?

As it stands i have reset the device to its factory settings and got rid of anything like start up pics and POI's and gotten back to the 7.221 app.

I work in a warehouse but i am on the the road deliving this week, so if you see a tomtom bouncing down the motorway you know why ?

Wish me luck:D

Factory reset

I THINK YOU SHOULD TRY A FACTORY RESET ON THE LAST SCREEN AND SEE IF THIS WILL HELP. iF THIER IS STILL A PROBLEM THE DREADED FORMAT OF THIS DRIVE AND THEN READ WHAT YOU ORIGIANALLY DOWNLOADED. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP MAPSETTINGS.CFG FROM THE NORTH AMERICAN MAPS AND YOUR CONTACT FILE JUST INSIDE OF TOM TOM HOME. DO THIS ONLY AS A LAST RESULT.
BEFORE DOING THE FORMAT YOU CAN TRY TO RIGHT CLICK ON YOUR TOM TOM FOLDER. THE GO TO TOOLS AND ERROR CORRECTION CHECK BOTH BOXES AND RUN THIS TO SEE IF IT CORRECT ERRORS IN YOUR UNIT.

Well it would seem that going back to app 7.221 has sorted my problem. Yesterday was freeze free and hopefullly today will be the same,

:D cheers

Ask a Question