TomTom possibly saved my life

OK want a good one?

True Story:
I was supposed to go see my sister(in-law) in Philly this weekend as she had a preemie baby. Things are OK with them, as far as we were told and it was recommended that we not go visit just yet.

I'm itchin to get out of the house... I 'disappear' for the weekend and test out my
Covered Bridges - New Hampshire POI

I'm in my car, driving around the mountains of NH in the middle of now where (I choose 'shortest route' to help keep me of the major through ways) and I haven't seen civilization in about an hour, driving down what looks like a logging road. Yes we still have those here. And in winter they aren't really maintained. I've got AWD and I used to drive a Jeep all the time so I think eh... no worries.....

WRONG!!!!!

The snow was so packed on the road it was like ice, anyone in the northern areas knows what I mean. I turn a corner and there is a tree down in the road, ABS AWD and traction control does VERY LITTLE for you to stop on ice at a slight decline... Hit the tree or hit the embankment... I chose embankment hoping the snow was deep enough to cushion the blow.

It was.... but I buried the car. It was getting dark and I have no cell phone service, no shovel, no sand. I'm screwed! .... no one knows where I am. But wait! I have my ONE. Checked my GPS coordinates (saved as favorite too just in case. Chose a direction to walk.... 3 hours later I'm in cell range and AAA (with the GPS coords I gave them) sent a tow truck and pulled me out.

The tow-truck driver even brought me a Dunkin Donuts coffee.... AND... he had a ONE mounted right to his dash!!!

Car and Driver are OK. None the worse for ware...

Last edited:
I am so glad you are ok. Everyone needs a tomtom! :)

That's exactly what happened to James, late editor of CNet in San Francisco, in our mountains of southern Oregon a couple of months ago.

You told his story - he wasn't able to.....but at least they found his wife and baby alive - 9 days after he wandered off for help.

Yeah that's what I was thinking..... hmmmm...
But one thing I did notice about that 9for us mods that can see it) is the IP address from that post doesn't match any from Jason.

Maybe he has lots of IPs like he has lots of cars. :)

(Hence the "princess" ? hehe)

Ask a Question