TomTom one XL 'no maps found'

I'm new and maybe I should post this somewhere else, but I will start here for now. After helping a friend update her TomTom one XL it will not run. It starts up but gives the error message ' no maps found ' I've searched this problem and I have tried several fixes, but no luck yet. Most of the post that I've looked at concerning this problem are 2 years old. Can anyone help?

Agitator

When you say 'update', what was it? The map? The application? Both?

Did you make an Explorer backup prior to updating? When you look at the unit using Explorer, do you see a specific map folder (such as UK) with files in ot?

Report back please.

IP address indicates Wisconsin. So to the OP - look for the folder with the name that includes US/Canada/Mexico.

I have tried several fixes, but no luck yet.

It will be a lot quicker if you tell us what you've tried already.

For example, (assuming you still have the map folder mentioned above on the device), have you tried running the "ClearFlash" utility from the TT website? That's a common cure for the "no maps" issue.

You can download it from here.

No Maps Found

First, plug in your device to the computer where it is normally used.

Open TomTom Home and see if there are any Backups to restore. If so choose to restore the backup. This will return the device to a previous state that will require it to be updated again.

During update, if you are asked to remove software from the device... don't remove your map. This is what I did because I thought the device would be smart enough to know that it needed a map to operate, because it warned me not to remove all of my voice files because it may cause my device to fail... not the case. Make sure you leave your map on the device.

If there is no backup to restore (which is what happened to me) you will need to go to "Manage my [Device Name]" in the Home Software. Click on the "Items on Computer" tab. See if the Map file is saved on your computer. If it is there, click on the "more info" link under the map and you will see where this file is saved on the computer. Take a note on this path so you can navigate there with "My Computer."

Once there, right click the ".zip" file and select "extract." Choose a location to extract the files (I used my desktop).

Once the extraction is complete open "My Computer" and locate the TomTom Device. Right click the device and select "Explore." Make sure you can see this folder and the extracted folder on your desktop. Drag and drop the extracted map folder to the device folder (It should be placed in the root directory of the device, not inside an existing folder on the device. This move will take about 30 mins depending on the size of your map. Once complete you should be able to disconnect your device and restart it as usual.

Make a backup of your device using TomTom Home software.

If all else fails, call TomTom Support or keep searching the net.

Contrary to what Hambone suggests in the last post, we always recommend you DO NOT use Home to make your backups.

Creating regular backups is essential, but you should always use Windows Explorer (or Finder on the Mac) and normal copy-paste routines to make them.

More details HERE.
(but I would suggest creating your new backup folders in "My Documents" rather than direct to C:\)

I have the same issue right now.....

I just did a sytem update. When I turned it back on, all my favorites were wiped.
So I did a restore (from HOME). Now it just says "No Maps".
Awesome :(

You can try doing this........

Download the Clear flash tool from HERE and run it 3 times.

Does that help?

If not, was the map on your unit an original or was it an updated one? If the latter, you should find it in compressed form here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

And you can install it without using Home. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

If you've gotten here, then make an Explorer, NOT Home backup of your unit's contents:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then, use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and install the application that will be offered.

Disconnect properly from Home using the Device disconnect icon.

Any better?

Tom Tom Says mac Snow Leopard is the Problem

My TomTom unmounetd in the midst of a map upload. Then, the unit said no maps were there, but it wouldn't allow me to load a new one because it said there was no space.

The first TomTom support tech walked me through removing hte map file from my TomTom and then loading a new one. It took forever and, again the map didn't fully load. THis time, I got a message saying I couldn't access the map.

When i called back, the new tech asked if I was using a Mac. When I said I was, he said, please tell me you're not using 10.6. When I confirmed I was, he said that there is an issue (supposedly on Apple's end) that is causing this in 10.6. He said that I needed to use either a PC or a Mac running 105. When I used or PowerBook, which has 105, it worked and my unit is now running properly. But it was like it had been completely reset. Everything was wiped out.

I can't find any info about this in the Apple site.

I'm new and maybe I should post this somewhere else, but I will start here for now. After helping a friend update her TomTom one XL it will not run. It starts up but gives the error message ' no maps found ' I've searched this problem and I have tried several fixes, but no luck yet. Most of the post that I've looked at concerning this problem are 2 years old. Can anyone help?

Agitator

Whenever you load a new map onto your devices the favorites get wiped out. To prevent this from happening simply go into your tomtom's hard drive and look for the map folder. EG: USA_CANADA_MEXICO. Go inside of this folder and look for a folder that says Mapsettings.cfg. This folder holds all the favorites. Simply drag and drop this folder to the desktop and then go for the map update. Once the map is finished installing to your device,go back into the tomtom's hard drive and simply drag and drop that Mapsettings.cfg folder from the desktop over the map folder. the favorites are still inside your brand new map now.

Whenever you load a new map onto your devices the favorites get wiped out.
Depends upon the vintage of your TomTom. That issues seems to have gone away for any unit that has upgraded or started out with version 9.XXX firmware. However, the remainder of your suggestion holds for users of 8.XXX firmware units. It MAY be necessary to operate the unit from the PC and add, remove or delete a favorite to keep the unit from reboot cycling endlessly after using the old file, though. Again, it's all a matter of firmware version.

In any case, the OP had a somewhat larger problem than having his favorites disappear -- his map "disappeared".

look for the map folder. EG: USA_CANADA_MEXICO. Go inside of this folder and look for a folder that says Mapsettings.cfg. This folder holds all the favorites.

For accuracy... MapSettings.cfg is not a folder, it's a file.

Map update no maps found

I did everything everyone suggested. I have a MAC computer. Reset, folder removals, backups and still No Maps Found. TomTom home continues to tell me that maps will not fit on my navigation device and HOME cannot free up more memory space. My TOMTOM does not allow me to tap on anything nor manage it if it is a blank screen that always says "No Maps Foun" and even on my computer, the files are there and removing a particular folder as instructed did not work. Same problem. Then, removing the map folder in its entirely makes the HOME think I am to pay for a new map. No way! Only to get the same message not enough room. This is absolute B.S. I think I have to take my Christmas present back and get a refund for my husband and purchase an ap and forget about this device after hours and hours of searching the internet to get any help.

Ask a Question