TomTom One XL Euro stopped working

Hi all,

I have a TomTom One XL Euro that has stopped working and I could do with some help to try and get it to work again.

I was using the SatNav last week, finished my travels, got home, unplugged, switched off and it has been sitting in my bedside drawer for one week. I have gone to use it today and I cannot get it to work. I push the button on the top of the unit and it seems to power up, the screen changes colour to a lighter one and then goes off, but still has a faint colour to it. The tomtom noise plays and thats it. Nothing comes up on the screen, no hands, no maps, no nothing. If i then go to turn it off via the button, it goes off as if it has been working, but still nothing shows on the screen.

I have charged this up via the pc, I have updated it, I have backed it up, I have used it via the pc, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the screen to work. I also do not understand why one minute it was working perfectly and the next time I go to use it, it does not. It hasnt been dropped, it hasnt been blown up, it has had nothing done to it in any way shape or form, so why oh why has the screen stopped working?

If anyone can shed any light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

The unit is about 2 yrs old, but under 3yrs and I have not had a single issue with it the whole time I have had it, so you can imagine my frustration at it now?

Any help greatly appreciated. Regards, Rob

Last edited:
Has the unit got a reset switch in the base, if so give that a prod and see what happens when you next turn it on, resetting it won't delete or change anything on the device it just forces it to reload the software in to memory.
If there is no dedicated reset button press and hold the on/ off switch until the device restarts with a drum roll (typically about 20 seconds of holding the power switch) - Mike

Welcome to TTF.

Does the unit function properly when in the car charger? If so, may be a sign the battery is on its last legs.

Hi and thank you for your replies.

I have tried the reset button in the bottom of the unit and this makes no difference at all. I have tried the holding down of the button on the top of the unit and this makes no difference at all.
The unit's screen does not work in the car charger, under its own steam or when plugged into the laptop.

Its looking like I will just have to get myself a new sat nav, as nothing I seem to do or any info I find or get, does the trick.

Will TomTom themselves have a look at it if I send it into them, or do they not have a very good customer service in place?

Thanks again for your info's, it is appreciated.

Tomtom doesnt repair devices, they only do warranty swaps.

They do in the UK...
Here's what you get if you put "repair" in the search box on the UK Support site
Repairs
If the information above doesn?t resolve your issue, contact our Customer Support staff by e-mail or phone. If a repair is necessary you will get a repair number from our staff. Repairing a device usually takes 10 to 20 working days after receipt of the defective product at our service centre. In exceptional cases we may need to replace your product. So make sure that you backup your device before you send it in.
Click here to contact Customer Support.
(Link)

They have a service/repair centre in Scotland that all the UK stuff goes to. It's not actually run by TT themselves though.

EDIT:
But I see the same query on the US site just gives:
TomTom Customer Support can arrange for your device to be repaired or replaced under the terms of the TomTom Limited Warranty. This process takes 7-10 business days from when you ship the product to receipt of the replacement.
(Link)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Rudolph ;)

Tomtom behaves differently in so many ways on opposite sides of the pond, as you've seen it's really hard to keep up.

Ask a Question