tomtom not recognised by pc

TomTom Model(s)
GO 750
It has been a while since I last connected my Tomtom GO 750 have connected to my pc, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, because the device is not recognised by my pc.

I have my device sitting in the active dock and have connected the active dock with my pc using a standard USB cable. The device's start button 'glows' orange when I connect the USB cable to the pc to indicate it is charging but the pc is not recognising it and I do not get a message on my device indicating it has picked up that I have the connection the the pc established.

Does anyone know what I have done wrong, or if not, how to fix this?

In addition, I would like to know if anyone can tell me if I can load the Camper & Caravan functions on a GO 750?

Thanks

Arno

Is the standard usb cable the one that came with the kit when you bought it? Are you using a USB port on the back, not the front, of the computer?

Try resetting the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your device has a dedicated reset hole.

Thanks for your response. It is not the original cable, I haven't got that one anymore. But I have read that other users have been able to use any USB cable. But if the device is charging then the USB cable should not be faulty, right?

I have tried both front and back USB ports on my pc to no avail. The reset you have described doesn't appear to make any difference either. So what could it be then? Is there a way to connect the device directly to a pc, without the active dock?

No, I understand. It does actually charge the device fully but as you say it doesn't recognise it. I do not hear a clunk and I know it did do that last time I connected which could be a year ago. The cable that you have linked to looks like the cable that fits my device. But can you tell me if it should also work with the device connected to the pc via the active dock which has a standard mini-USB port? Or does it always have to be connected directed to the device with the kind of cable you have linked to?

Since we don't have the 750 model here, I don't want to give you incorrect information.

Here is the number for CS:

Australia
1300 135 604

Monday-Friday:
9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

Which active dock?
I have the one with an RDS-TMC Traffic receiver built in, and I can use the USB connection on that to connect to the PC.

I would suspect the cable... There are some cables about that were only intended as powering cables and don't work well for data.

Also see if anything here helps:
Why is my device not properly recognised? (TomTom HOME)

---

You can now buy a camper and caravan specific MAP which will enable the camper features on the unit if you have the latest software installed.

Ask a Question