tomtom is total trash!!!

TomTom Model(s)
via
tomtom is very stupid. i bought another one and it won't let me register on my computer which has the privious tomtom. very frustrated! will return both tomtom! those stupid idiots!

Um... as you'll find in about 1000 posts here over the years, it's necessary to use a different email address for each TomTom to keep the accounts separate .. or to call tech support to have them swap the email over to the new unit. Stupid is only when the information available is out there, but isn't requested.

from the manual, albeit in small type

rttomtommanual.jpg

Um... as you'll find in about 1000 posts here over the years, it's necessary to use a different email address for each TomTom to keep the accounts separate .. or to call tech support to have them swap the email over to the new unit. Stupid is only when the information available is out there, but isn't requested.

We have several units both for our fleet and our run a-bouts, and it is indeed a bug bear to have a separate email for each unit, it would be far better to have an account that you can attach units to and not one where you need one for each unit.

In this day and age its beyond comprehension that it has not already been done, after all its the unit that tells the server what it is and the server checks if it has warranty/maps/updates/bans/blocks and any other attachments to it via its serial number.

So I can understand the posters frustration, and I also see the fan boys who are quick to slant new users @thymara and @Hamish33 you both were new to Tomtom once and you BOTH did not know about the email syndrom before hand.

And @ Hamish33 the "Gotcha" or "RTFM Dumbo" remark proves the point your a true TROLL in the making, before you ROATM on others you were a newbie once as well.

I thought forums like these were to help others, but it would appear this is much like all others, a meeting place for curtain pulling, ear wigging, trolls.

Do have a Happy Xmas the both of you now wont you, I am sure if you try hard enough you find some other hapless victim to prey on and feel good about afterwards.

So I can understand the posters frustration, and I also see the fan boys who are quick to slant new users @thymara and @Hamish33 you both were new to Tomtom once and you BOTH did not know about the email syndrom before hand.
excuse me. didn't know about the email syndrome? where did that come from? refresh my memory because I do tend to forget things. However, with your vigilance as my guide, I'm sure that any future errors I commit, and there will be some, will be immediately corrected by yourself and others of an equal mind. it'll be great.

It also just so happens that this issue is not unique to TomTom. In Canada I subscribe to XM satellite radio and have 2 accounts because I have 2 cars. XM can't even figure out how to change a contract on any day other than the day you talk to them.

Clearly stating the solution once found is useful for those who might encounter the same situation in the future and actually search for said solution. On the other hand failure to search before going on a rant, I've done it before, tends to lead to embarrassment.

I was new to TomTom about 3 weeks ago, have actually read the manual several times and am still learning and have no problem admitting it.

You provided interesting info pertaining to ownership of multiple units. Good for you. Now just learn to keep your personal attacks out of it, thank you very much.

I also have to wonder why you made no comment about post #2 which, at least in my opinion, is a definite you're an idiot comment.

Last edited:
To EVERYBODY:

Let's keep name calling out of this forum, please. It's ok to complain but take the constant harping elsewhere.

Just understand, folks - in most cases, there's no reason that all of the email addresses for multiple units even have to be real, just unique. If you work for ABC company, you can usually 'invent' the addresses such as TomTom1.abc.com, TomTom2.abc.com ad nauseam, and your corporate server doesn't need to know about them, either.

All you'll miss with the bogus email address would be map reminders (and you'll hear about those here first) and a tidy solution to any paid voices, etc., that you might need to download since the email notification of the purchase goes to the email account. Give that some thought if it might become an issue.

excuse me. didn't know about the email syndrome? where did that come from? refresh my memory because I do tend to forget things. However, with your vigilance as my guide, I'm sure that any future errors I commit, and there will be some, will be immediately corrected by yourself and others of an equal mind. it'll be great.

It also just so happens that this issue is not unique to TomTom. In Canada I subscribe to XM satellite radio and have 2 accounts because I have 2 cars. XM can't even figure out how to change a contract on any day other than the day you talk to them.

Clearly stating the solution once found is useful for those who might encounter the same situation in the future and actually search for said solution. On the other hand failure to search before going on a rant, I've done it before, tends to lead to embarrassment.

I was new to TomTom about 3 weeks ago, have actually read the manual several times and am still learning and have no problem admitting it.

You provided interesting info pertaining to ownership of multiple units. Good for you. Now just learn to keep your personal attacks out of it, thank you very much.

I also have to wonder why you made no comment about post #2 which, at least in my opinion, is a definite you're an idiot comment.

If you felt it was a personal attack that is how you read it, take it as you see fit, and as I do not know you in person I see no reason for it to understood as such, however it matters not, and as I replied on quote to post 2 it encompasses that post as well, that being the mod indirectly implying the poster was "stupid", and finally on the point of the email syndrome, there is no way you would have known before hand.

Main fact it TomTom should have fixed this a VERY long time ago, along with many others of its let downs and step backs it takes with each new model, numbing down the interface for those who feel they need it, with out taking into consideration those who require a lot more out of the software, just do not go over to their fleet management in a nutshell its plain and simply horrendous.

If you felt offended, its not intended to hurt your feelings.

Happy X Maxs All

I am a longtime Garmin user who became unhappy with directions on a recent trip. My sister is a TomTom user who is extremely satisfied so I started to do research. My initial starting point, as always, for research is google. I read reviews and especially the comments in the reviews because that is where you discover issues.

Google also leads you to forums, such as this one, or the official TomTom forum where you also get an excellent feel for what is going on and what are the major problems.

I began my research in September and waited for a major December sale before purchasing my TomTom GO 2535TM WTE.

Even though I discovered many issues in my research most seemed minor, including how to register multiple machines, which is trivial for people with their own domains. I am a very happy TomTom user but as soon as I meet the 15 day requirement I am going to vote for things I'd like to see, such as variable speed limit warnings.

Again - even without access to a domain, one can usually register units with anything resembling a legitimate email address.

As for being unhappy with directions...

Neither Teleatlas (TomTom) nor Garmin (who uses NavTeq maps) will always have 100% accurate mapping for any area. Between the two, it's clear that there are regional differences -- which is to say, one is better in some geographic areas, and the other in other areas. Further to that, Garmin and TomTom use different routing engine software, so how each deals with the map content with which it is presented will vary as well. I've never been 100% satisfied with either of them, and really don't expect to be in the near term... if for no other reason than that the business of mapping always seems to lag behind reality by months, and there's simply no substitute for local knowledge, especially when that happens.

The overall satisfaction level of a user is going to depend on WHY the user feels the need to use a PND. Much of the time, for example, I know exactly how to get to my destination, but use my Live units specifically for traffic data. At other times, it's been very valuable while out in truly unknown territory, but those occasions are rarer by far. So in my case, picking up a new subdivision isn't the most important feature, but traffic accuracy on well established roads is. So I fuss less about how current a map is than other users might do. It's all in a person's use model.

I agree with all your comments but for me it was time for a change. I had a Garmin Nuvi 5000 which does not have a battery and does not allow routes to be transferred from the computer.

In Alberta laws have been introduced making it illegal for the driver to touch the gps while driving, which includes places liked stopped at a red light. My navigator had trouble figuring out all the idiosyncrasies of things like having to know all the abbreviations for township road, highway etc.

Bottom line, road was closed due to fire and it took 2 ½ hours to find a detour that wasn't closed. we knew the route number but couldn't figure how to get it into the gps

long story short - find something hopefully simpler

FWIW,
I have 3 XM radios and only 1 e-mail account. Can do anything I want to each radio all under that 1 e-mail address!

Have to agree with OP though. TomTom is much dumber than my Garmin ever was!!

You didn't just call the OP STUPID did you? You should be ashamed of yourself. Be helpful MODERATOR, not an A$$.:mad:

Last edited:
No he was not but rather commenting on the OP's use of the word 'stupid'. That said, please moderate your tone here.

dhn,

I am going to disagree with you...read the last sentence, then read it again. It says: Stupid is only when the information available is out there, but isn't requested.. In the previous sentence he describes where the information is. He has referred to the actions of the OP as stupid. Nuff said. Bye Bye.

@dhn
I've decided I like 'werv4fun's interpretation better.
It's more along the line of the old adage .. "The only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked", or however that goes.

Ask a Question