Tomtom iPhone app is released

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 930
With the TT iPhone app already in the New Zealand iTunes store, I expect NA might see it today (Sunday) or tomorrow. Doesn't look cheap. $180 NZ which converts to $120 US. That would make it two to three times more expensive than Navigon, Co-Pilot, or iGo, all very worthy and well received iPhone mobile apps. Also no mention of TTS in the feature list.

EDIT: The price I quoted is the European maps and app. The US/Canada is $125 NZ, or $85 US. Have to see how it prices once announced here.

Last edited:
Mike, does it have tts? Traffic? Can u see the nav when ur on the phone? Is the map v835?

It's not available for Mike's purchase yet. Perhaps by tomorrow. Of course that doesn't mean he doesn't know the answers;)

I don't think that's the finished retail app. But also why I think he might know what's in the shipping version.

FYI - I'm following the macrumors forum. It appears this app is being released on Monday, as the time zones shift over. So far New Zealand got it first, then Australia a few hours after. Tomtom did say Europe and US would launch at the same time, my guess is we'll all get it as our individual Monday's approach.

I stopped in an US apple store and no sign of the mount for sale.

One member on that forum posted that it does have TTS.

Editing header.

Sorry for the wind-up chaps, the only shopping I have been doing is "Photo-Shopping" I posted the same screen grab off my iPhone last week on another forum, and some very experianced chaps took the line without any bait - I guess I will have to wait like everyone else as the clock ticks down.

I might even get up early to see whats available in the UK, but the price seems rather high in comparison to what has already been offered to the market. Co-Pilot is still a cracking application and considering the price its available for its a real bargain, Navigon makes the best use of the iPhone user interface, Sygic is great in use and feels/ looks like the user interface from TomTom Navigator 6 running on a PDA, only I-Go has failed to ignite anything of interest from me, yes its a decent application but it just doesn't hit the button and is the most costly on offer as yet.

IF the TT iPhone application does offer IQ Routes 2 then this alone will make a serious difference in my opinion, TTS would be most welcome but not essential, it all depends on the cost, add in the price of the dedicated mount and this starts to get very expensive when looking at the prices on the NZ iTunes store - Mike

Especially now that it seems I might have been right on price the first time. Perhaps closer to $125 for NA, not including the mount.

Especially now that it seems I might have been right on price the first time. Perhaps closer to $125 for NA, not including the mount.

EDIT: now confirmed at $125.

MVL, included voices are standard non-TTS from what I see.

Macrumors says the UK store has the app. So they're following the time zone schedule.

?59.99 for UK and Ireleand
?79.99 Western Europe

Go, Mike, go.....

The first review of the app that I've seen is here.

Overall, the review describes the iPhone app as having similar features and functionality as a Tomtom PND. Reading between the lines, the iPhone GPS chip seemed to be weak at keeping a signal, but covered up by Tomtom's "keep to the route" assumptions. It's interesting that this has IQroutes, but per Gator no Lane Guidance. It also appears like there is no TTS. It appears that music plays in the background, and pauses for voice guidance then autoresumes music, just like a 720 does.

Unfortunately, it was reported that the screen fades to black when a call comes in. That makes it unusable for a business type who is traveling to a sales site while taking a conference call. Maybe/hopefully the mount can do something to correct this.

Still looking for a Tomtom expert (wake up Mike...) to let us know what map version it runs, whether mapshare works. whether any LIVE services of any sort are available, etc. And overall how it compares to a dedicated PND.

It's been going up in each time zone at around 12-2 am, so expect it in the US in a few hours.

Last edited:
The US app came up at 11pm eastern.

Per macrumors, pricing is:

- U.S. & Canada: $99.99
- Western Europe: $139.99
- Australia: $79.99
- New Zealand: $94.99

Last edited:
Here's the official press release.

It includes an easy-to-use purchase redirector link: http://www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app

And it also says "Compatibility with iPod touch and other iPhone models coming soon. Requirements for use on the iPhone 3G or 3GS include phone installation of OS3.0 and installation of iTunes on the PC or Mac. "

My assumption is that the Touch app will be released when the carkit goes on sale, and only work when plugged into the car kit, since the car kit has its own backup GPS receiver.

Last edited:
Here are links to the US and UK instructions.

Also, a description on how to run the iPhone app while on a call is here.

Last edited:
We have set up a separate forum for discussion on the iPhone and Navigator application. I moved the non-news related posts to this forum.

Still looking for a Tomtom expert (wake up Mike...) to let us know what map version it runs, whether mapshare works. whether any LIVE services of any sort are available, etc. And overall how it compares to a dedicated PND.

May already have this information by now, but since I have the official word, figured I would share.

The app runs the latest map (version 8.30) and does not currently offer TTS or Live services. TomTom is working on incorporating additional features for the future, however no specific news at this time.

Ask a Question