TomTom Home now saves settings when formatting?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
In the past few days I've been trying out different things with my 720. I have reformatted/wiped my device completely free of all files. Back then with the older version of Home, when I would erase everything and let Home install everything from scratch, the unit would act as if it just came from the store and would ask you to input all of your settings.

The past few days I have been reformatting my device, and letting Home install every from scratch. What happens is, Home installs all of the NavCores, Maps, Voices, etc. If you install a fresh copy of NavCore only on your device, then try to power it on, the device will act like it is brand new and has never been used, and then can't find a map. That's normal. I go and install the map via Home, and all goes well.

Now I go to turn on the device after installing my fresh map through Home and I see that all of my settings are restored. All of my menu options are back. Status bar options, voice preferences, screen brightness, time, nearly EVERY option is restored. Even the "power on" message I have set comes back.

The only things that don't come back are your password, favorites, phone preferences, bluetooth preferences, etc.

These settings seem to come back as soon as I install my map. Does the Home software now save settings in the map or something? I think it's pretty cool that I don't have to re-set my brightness, status bar, etc settings after every format/reinstall.

When I was doing the wipe/reinstall I was expecting to get the "from factory" state. I'm guessing this is a new feature of Home?

TT Home saves all of that in My Documents\TomTom.

That's pretty cool I guess. I know that Home normally saves all of your downloaded files locally on the PC, but Home never used to save "settings"

Any time I used to reformat, I would have to re-input all of my settings/preferences again. Now after a reformat all I have to do is re-create my passkey, and that's about it. Favorites don't come back though. I don't have any anyways so...

Ask a Question