TomTom Go910

I just bought a refurbished unit Go910(in Australia), and it is giving me a few problems. I am not sure if it is firmware related. My unit has firmware V7.9 and the current version is V8.4.

1. When I mount the unit in the car it is cannot charge the unit and the battery is constantly run down.
I can only charge this unit with the home docking unit, it needs to attach properly to get a full charge.

2. The s/w preference in this unit allows me switch off the unit when I lose
the power supply ie via the battery adapter. This does not work ie when I switch of my car the unit is still
ON.

If I upgrade to V8.4 will I solve my above problems. I never have any s/w or h/w related problems with Garmin Units. Unless I solve these problems I will tend to give this unit the boot into the bin and probably never to buy another TOMTOM unit.

Do you get a green LED lit on the device when plugged in to the car to indicate its charging?

If you do then its probably an issue with the docking connector on the unit or the car mount. (send it back)

If you don't check the ciggy socket you have the charger cable plugged in to is actually live

- Mike

Hi,

Thks for reply,

1. With the unit switched off, and power plug connected I plugged the battery adapter to the car socket the LED lit up and power up the unit. I assumed it was then charging up the unit plus powering up the unit. It did not, the battery slowly ran down. I had to use the docking unit to separately charge up the unit. When using the docking and properly connected the word "charging" appears next to the battery indicator when charging. Sometimes it did not even show up when it was charging.

2. When I changed the s/w preference to unit 'switched off when power was not there', I removed the battery adapter, the unit did not switch off and unit battery ran down. I had to switch off the unit manually. What a bummer.

3. I sent back the unit TWICE to be fixed, there you are I am still experiencing these problems.

There you are a detailed explanations, any suggestions to fix these problems??

Software 7.9 is more suitable for the x10 Go units.

Thks for your response.

You sign on as a Tom Tom expert and did NOT suggest a fix looks like Tom Tom knew about these problems and never bother to fix them in the next firmware upgrade and NOW you are telling me the old firmware is a MORE suitable one, what a revelation. For a market leader to behave this way is not right.

Should I buy a new Tom Tom model next time around, now I am having my doubts and most likely not.

The current Navcore release for a Go-910 is 7,903 so if you are running Navcore 8,x I am not surprised you have problems with the device, unless of course TomTom have released Navcore 8 for Australia on the 910 (which I rather doubt).

Running odd ball Navore can mess up a device and make things unstable, nothing to stop you trying it but you also need to be aware of the boot loader as thats not something you will revert and potentialy could brick your device if/ when you get it wrong.

As for you next purchase, thats entirely up to you, if the 910 is performing and happy with the heat stick with it as its a very credible device - Mike

The current Navcore release for a Go-910 is 7,903 so if you are running Navcore 8,x I am not surprised you have problems with the device, unless of course TomTom have released Navcore 8 for Australia on the 910 (which I rather doubt).

Running odd ball Navore can mess up a device and make things unstable, nothing to stop you trying it but you also need to be aware of the boot loader as thats not something you will revert and potentialy could brick your device if/ when you get it wrong.

As for you next purchase, thats entirely up to you, if the 910 is performing and happy with the heat stick with it as its a very credible device - Mike

Excuse me I did not mention I upgraded my software. I am currently using firmware version 7.9. There you are I am still experiencing these problems.

I can solve the charging problem via using the docker in the car and power it via it a battery adapter and use it as a charger. I cannot use the attachment( the unit that can be mounted on dashboard or winscreen) for 910 as a charger don't know why I tried mounting it to 910 many times. With this problem solved at least I use the unit before it runs out of battery power.

With all the problems I am having I don't think it is an "incredible device" very far from it. As you can see on this forum I am not the only one facing these problems and besides that you did not even suggest any possible solutions to solve my problems. What a bummer.

ttan98 -

From one of your earlier posts, I get the impression that you think that at least some of us here actually work for TomTom. Not true. We do the best we can with the information you supply and our experience with these products and the experiences of others. If that's not enough for you, call TomTom and talk to someone there. You may find that on the whole, the answers are often better here.

For what it's worth, Mike's suggestion that you may have a defective car adapter would explain both your charging issues and auto-off issues. It's also possible that the TomTom isn't detecting the connection to the charger in the car, even though the light is lit.

Last edited:
I apologize that I assume those who replied here work for Tom Tom.

I am not very happy with this unit as you already notice, for the hardware, connection to t he docker and adapter, firmware upgrade, V7.9 better that V8.4, most unusual, and Tom Tom's service sent in twice and problems not fixed.

I will terminate my correspondence now that I have voiced my grievances.

Serious Go910 charging problem

Hi all - just joined - after searching the forum using the following keywords:
Go910, charging, flat battery etc.
A lot what you describe "ttan98" is similar to my problems btw.

I recently got myself a Go910. (Firmware 7.903)
Although used it is in very good shape. The former user (whom I trust) said he had no problems....

The unit will not charge in a consistent manner.
Not connected using the in-car holder. Not in the desktop charger.

The green diode on top surely always lits up, but it doesn't seem to matter.
The battery simply does not charge.

While in the car I have to tweak the unit around to get the indication "charging".
It might work (i.e. charge) for a minute or so but then stop. Then I try to tweak it aroun again.

Same right now; A few minutes ago I put the unit (with flat battery) in the desktop charger and carefully positioned it so that the "charging" indication lits up (the green led lits up as always when in any of the holders).
After five minutes the "charging" indication goes away (green led still on...) and the battery indication starts flashing red.

And I have cleaned the contacts carefully...

Is it time to replace the battery?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
/Magnus

Ask a Question