TomTom GO910 as a photo dump?

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
I read all the reviews and searched the forum, but although I'm a moderator here I have to ask what is probably a silly question:

Can the GO910 be used as a photo dump? Meaning, can I hook up my digital camera directly to the GO910 and copy the photos from my digital camera to the GO910?

I suspect it cannot do that because it likely doesn't offer on-the-go USB hosting, but I thought I'd ask. Plus, you never know what the TomTom hackers have come up with in regard to new apps, code, etc., so I thought that maybe some of you GO910 users would have heard of something.

I'm planning on a European vacation this Summer and planning on taking a lot of photos. I'm looking for portable storage devices for backing up my photos from my camera's CF card on a daily basis, and I really don't want to have to buy yet another portable device to do the job. My family will already have several iPods, a portable media player, a Palm handheld, three cameras, and likely my TomTom GO700 (with European maps on it). It sure would be nice to get replace about 3 or 4 of those devices with a GO910 and be able to copy about 5 or 6 GB of photos over to it.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Ipod to dump your pix

You mentioned that you are bringing some Ipods.

Have you looked into the "Apple Ipod Camera Connector"?
(I would have posted the link, but I'm still a newbie)
Check it out on the Apple site.

Is that kinda what you are looking for?

You mentioned that you are bringing some Ipods.

Have you looked into the "Apple Ipod Camera Connector"?
(I would have posted the link, but I'm still a newbie)
Check it out on the Apple site.

Is that kinda what you are looking for?

Good point timezoned. Here is the link for compatible Digital Cameras - Link.

Yeah, the iPod Camera Connector would work. I believe there are two versions -- one by Belkin and one by Apple with one being significantly better than the other, but I can't remember which is the better one. It's is reportedly dog slow though, so I'll probably have to go with another solution.

I am currently looking long and hard at the Creative Zen Vision (the original one -- not the Vision:M or Vision:W), because it's on closeout for only $179 and has a built-in compact flash slot for transferring photos to the 30GB hard drive. It will also play just about any video or audio format out there. I have an Olympus E-500 Digital SLR camera, so it takes CF cards rather than SD cards.

I guess they still haven't come up with something that can do it all yet. I guess the new mini PCs (or whatever they're called) could do it and be used as a navigation system, but since it's running a full version of WindowsXP and not Windows Mobile, I couldn't use TomTom Navigator, so that's not very appealing to me.

Maybe the TomTom hackers will come up with a little Unix app that will allow USB host functionality. That would sell big to all the photography enthusiasts, and would subsequently increase TomTom sales, too.

Ask a Question