TOMTOM GO 50S

Conceptually, they got a couple of things very right with these new Nav4 units. Unfortunately, the execution wasn't nearly as good as previous generations either in the user interface or in the feature set. It's hard to know if many of the features that made TomTom units unique will ever be able to be bolted onto the Nav4 platform, nor whether they're really interested in doing so at TT. Such basic features as being able to see a selection of custom POI in the driving map view have been requested from the beginning, and it's now been more than three years since this platform was introduced in Europe, and more than two years since it was introduced in North America. Patience is, at this point, wearing thin.

A feature that I used all the time with my Via1535 but does not appear to be included on the Go 50 s is the ability to press on the next turn instruction and have the GPS voice speak it. Very useful when it is not possible to look away from the road. If the Go 50 s has this feature and I missed it, please advise.

Do any of the other newer TomToms have this feature?

thanks in advance

No, the new models don't have that feature. If you go to the menu screen and slide the volume bar, something might be said but not the next instruction.

With the 50S, you should be able to use voice command to ask "What's the next instruction?" That's about it for that feature on the newer models.

Ask a Question