Tomtom GO 2405/2505 for USA/Canada

have you looked at the new sony xnv units. they do much of what the 930s did, except traffic in the usa.

is 2405/2504 map update time faster than the xl340?

Yes and no from what I can tell so far. It will take longer to download the new maps for the GO 1XXX/2XXX series due to the increased map size. If I remember reading correctly, the Turbo Routes addition to the map makes it around 1 Gig larger than the IQ Routes maps offered on other devices. That would make the IQ Routes USA_Canada_Mexico from around 1.7 Gigs used on a XXL 540 (for example) to 2.7 - 3 Gigs for a GO 1XXX/2XXX. Though with no ability to updates the maps yet on the new GO series, no one knows for sure just how big they will be.

As far as transferring the map to the device, that will be much faster than most other TomToms. Most unit, like the XL 330 you mentioned use USB 1.1 to connect to the computer, which is very slow to transfer maps of that size. I remember it taking 45 minutes to an hour to transfer the map to my 130S, and that map was less than a gig in size. Some of the newer units like the XL 350, XXL 550 and new GO series use USB 2.0 for a far faster data transfer. Though with the new GO series, the unit does not come up as a mass storage device like other TomToms. They come up as a network device but shows the same 425 - 480 Mbps speed that USB 2.0 can do. Hope that answers your question hehe :).

Ask a Question