TOM TOM XL (i think 310 model) keeps rebooting constantly especially when planning route

TomTom Model(s)
tom tom xl
:rant:TOM TOM XL (i think 310 model) keeps rebooting constantly especially when planning route, i have removed maps and re-installed but still keeps turning on and off occasionally, connects to TOM TOM HOME with no problem but when i try to plan a route in my car 80% of the time it keeps powering on and off.

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds (unless your model has a dedicated reset hole)?

If that doesn't help:
  1. Make an Explorer, not home, backup of your unit's contacts. See here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html
  2. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
  3. Connect to Home and install the application that'll be offered
  4. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.
If that doesn't help:
--Try removing all mapshare corrections from the map you may have added. Do so using home's Tools menu

Thanks for the quick response unfortunately i have tried the backup and deleting all the loose files not in a folder but still nothing :( i have the N14644 Model. It stays on for a few minutes but often turns on and off out of nowhere and it is fully charged. When i tried in my vehicle this morning seemed to not be charged anymore as t did not want to turn on but couldnt connect to the car b/c had left plug home just wanted to test it.

You can try this......

Make the Explorer backup. Then format the unit, do NOT use quickformat.

Restore the backup. See if that helps..........

When you format, format as FAT32, not NTFS.

Thanks guys, i have went ahead and formatted the GPS as discussed, so far it seems to be running ok but this was the case the last time i tried to fix this issue (fingers crossed). I really appreciate your help and will keep you posted. BTW i have also noticed sometimes while its connected if i move the handset up to look at it, it also tends to shut off.

Handset? What's that?
And "shut off" -- do you mean reboot or just plain shut off? If movement of the unit is causing it to shut down, one wonders whether it is capable of operating on battery power (disconnected from any external power source, is the battery enough to run it?) and whether the USB connector is acting up.

Ask a Question