tom tom one "blown" wont power up

hey guys

has any1 come across their tom tom not powering up ?

i have one and it stopped powering up
tried the usual full charge and reset
but not life in teh unit
so i dismantled it and found this...
10102008192.jpg

now if you look at the littel chip under there its burnt out as you can see the scorch mark on the can top.

question is can these parts be bought ?
id like to get my unit back up and running

i have all the tools to remove old parts and replace.

thanks for your time guys

dave

I've never had the experience with repairing the TT but I guess if you can read the chip's manufacturer and id that you could call your electronics store and ask if they have it or can get it for you.

I know I tried to find the integrated Samsung chipset of the GO models as a possible replacement for the one in my XL-S and could not find it for sale in unit quantity when using Google for a couple of hours...

hi gilbert

thanks for the reply

but the top of the chip is burnt out

i was hoping that may b some techy who works for tom tom may drop in these forums and see thsi thread

but a long shot i know

thanks again m8

dave

Unfortunately since the chip is toasted, you can't read a P/N. It looks to me like that area might be the oscillator section or clock section since it's protected under that metal cover.

Maybe someone on the forum has taken their's apart and could get a P/N for you. What's the exact model number of your unit?

hi gilbert

thanks for the reply

but the top of the chip is burnt out

i was hoping that may b some techy who works for tom tom may drop in these forums and see thsi thread

but a long shot i know

thanks again m8

dave

AFAIK, from reading all kinds of forums for many years, employees would be forbidden to participate in any forum. Manufacturers are paranoid about their secrets being revealed or that some information would lead them to court. Recently, a TT support employee posted a few messages and was dismissed the next day for having done so...

Back in January, when I started my interest in the TT, I ended on a European TT forum board where there was a repair facility. I guess if you try a Google search for ?tomtom repair? you could end up with the reference. But your real problem, if you wish to repair it yourself, is getting the part. It may be common or it may be custom made. If the latter, good luck in getting it...

Keep us posted as I'm sure many would benefit from knowing about how it turns out.

ill have a look about gilbert
if i manage to get parts an fix it ill post up here for every1 else ;)

dave

Please do. Repairs are often too expensive to have done at commercial facilities as they charge upwards of 50$/hr and one needs to earn over 75$/nr to compensate and I'm not even close to that income. Indicate where you were able to find the parts as this is often the most difficult aspect to a repair. You could also go to the Samsung web site to get some sort of schematics on the integrated chipset as I only got the general description of them.

Hi All.

This is Linear Technology chip LTC3411. This is DC conwerter. You must change this chip and chip AIH TPS62000. Becouse two are always bad.

Best Regards.

Hopefully others can benefit from your advice.

Unfortunately, Gilbert passed a way several years ago.

Ask a Question