Tom Tom in Tenerife

Hi everyone, Just joined so not too sure where I should have posted this thread. I have a TomTom XL and would like to take it to Tenerife with me. I have been told by different peaple that I will need a SD for either Eastern Europr or Western Europe or even somewhere else. Help does anyone know what it is I need. Many thanks in advance

I've taken the liberty of showing that it appears you are in the UK, Cyril. I've added that information so that it will allow those who wish to reply a focus for specific suggestions...

Further, the same model name sometimes has different features, depending upon whether the unit is purchased in NA or in Europe.

Welcome to TTF.

The "Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB" map has quite good detailed coverage of the island, does your XL have a storage card slot or does it only have internal Flash Memory, if its the latter you need to double check the available storage will accomodate this map plus the other files needed, the map is nearly 1,8GB in size - Mike

Hi thanks for the prompt replies. Just to clarify, I am in the UK and my Tom Tom is TOMTOM XL GB (hope that is correct) and only has GB maps. It also has a card slot. If I have anything wrong I can correct in the morning. Cheers

Then you will need a 2GB SD card and onto this you copy all the files and folders from the TomTom's Flash Memory which is where the operating system and UKROI map will reside, DO NOT get an SDHC type card as these won't work in your device.
Next install the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB map to the card, this will only just fit with the other files that are needed so remove the UK&ROI map folder from the card - to use the Western Europe map simply insert the card, the device will then boot from the card.

Whilst UK is also contained within the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB map I quite often prefer to use the UK&ROI as searches are faster due to it containing less data, but the choice is yours - Mike

Ask a Question