Tom Tom 910 Question!

I've been thinking of buying this unit vs a Garmin and I've heard that in direct sunlight its hard to read and the windshield mount sucks royally!-Can someone please give me thier thoughts about this and if given would you buy this device again if you could do it all over again? also I know that the mount has been updated but I'd like to get some input from users who have the new mount since I'm curious as to how the performance of the new mount is compared to the old one.

I too have had the new mount for quite some time now. The design changes have solved the problem of the unit drooping. I made my own visor and I have no problem reading the screen in bright light. The mount does have a tendency to bounce because the center of gravity is a bit off (depends on how you mount it also) and there have been some isolated comments about the electrical connectivity of the unit and the mount. I imagine other units may do the same thing. I cannot offer you a comparison because I am only familiar with the 910.

I've had my 910 for about 3 weeks now and still getting friendly with its capabilities. Just can't figure out where I want to mount it,no problems with the suction mount just trying to come up with a custom mount that brings it close enough for me to see but also be inconspicuous.

Can you guys tell me if you buy a device(910) and the maps are out of date-do you get a free upgrade to the latest maps?

I can tell you 100% that you get the free map download....

I just bought the TT910 yesterday afternoon....(30 hours ago...LOL) and I downloaded the new maps this afternoon.

Hope that helps!

Wait, what map did you download for free? and where did you download it from?

Digi,

It was a 1.4GB file that says 665 on it. There wasnt an option for me to order the DVD the girl stated.....If the one on the DVD is 6.75 I will be sure to call TT and ask if I can still get that.

Regards

Digi,

It was a 1.4GB file that says 665 on it. There wasnt an option for me to order the DVD the girl stated.....If the one on the DVD is 6.75 I will be sure to call TT and ask if I can still get that.

Regards

Interesting. I didn't realize that they offer it as a downloadable file. Are able to download the USA/Canada maps if you wanted to?

Last edited:
Great, i would like to see the pics when it arrives

Well here is the rough mount. Needs to be painted to match dash colors and road tested but seems solid as a rock. 1 1/8 X 3/8 inch galvanized flat bar from local hardware store with 1/4 inch plexiglass mounting surface.Sorry my pics are like 506 kb each. Have to figure out how to reduce them before I can send. Well I can downsize them for regular e-mail but not for posting on this site. Just have to wait until I get enough posts to e-mail them to a member who knows what to do.

Last edited:
I have tried a go510, nuvi360, and ended up with the go910.

Dropped the 510 because of goofy routing, map errors and my wife wanted the text to speech.

Loved the nuvi form factor, and the trip statistics functions (avg speed, time spent moving, time spent sitting, etc) but dropped it because of goofy routing, map errors, and it only allows 1 via point. It does not allow you to make up itineraries like the TomTom unit does.

The 910 is the best compromise for me right now.

As you can see you will find goofy routing in both units, and both map companies have errors that will drive you crazy. The TomTom intinerary function minimizes this by allowing you to force it along routes you know to be better or fits your driving better. For example, sometimes the TomTom will route you through a bunch of residential streets because it is "Faster".
But it makes you take 7 turns where taking 1 other road may take 3 minutes longer and only take 2 turns. My wife likes to keep things simple even if it means taking a few minutes longer.

Neither unit makes sense of HOV lanes, the Garmin kept wanting me to exit immediately and get back on the main highway, the TomTom has the wrong identification, and wants me to take too early of an exit. I save 3-4 minutes by staying on the HOV for another two exits and then going home.

If they made a 910 XL, (new slim form factor first in the ONE series) I would have bought that.

I bought each unit from amazon except for the 910 which I got from Dell because of a $100 off coupon. But yours from a place that has a good return policy and try it out.

Well here is the rough mount. Needs to be painted to match dash colors and road tested but seems solid as a rock. 1 1/8 X 3/8 inch galvanized flat bar from local hardware store with 1/4 inch plexiglass mounting surface.Sorry my pics are like 506 kb each. Have to figure out how to reduce them before I can send. Well I can downsize them for regular e-mail but not for posting on this site. Just have to wait until I get enough posts to e-mail them to a member who knows what to do.

pictures look great.
I would like to see some more pictures of your custom mount without the 910.

pictures look great.
I would like to see some more pictures of your custom mount without the 910.
Took a couple more pics and will try to upload.Repainted mount but color is not same as dash so will redo. Have not painted area where suction cup sticks , not sure that it will stick to painted surface.
Looks like pics didn't post and I down sized them. They are in user cp. The mount is on friction mounted on the a/c bezel but so far it in very firmly attached and little or no vibration.

Last edited:

Ask a Question