To Nuvi or not to Nuvi?

You know the Nuvi GPS' but its so darn expensive. The TomTom provides the same functionality (even more with mods) a fraction of the cost.

I'm definetely sticking with TomTom :D

I agree, I had a Nuvi 350, sold it to get a Nuvi 660, and sold it once I had my ONE for awhile. It does have more bells and whistles, but nothing that I need personally. Like the calculator, pics, mp3s, etc. TomTom is MUCH more customizable, but I do wish we could change our vehicle icons like Garmin!

I agree, I had a Nuvi 350, sold it to get a Nuvi 660, and sold it once I had my ONE for awhile. It does have more bells and whistles, but nothing that I need personally. Like the calculator, pics, mp3s, etc. TomTom is MUCH more customizable, but I do wish we could change our vehicle icons like Garmin!
yeah but then you'll be wishiing you could customise like the TomToms can haha.

The Nuvi's are a great unit but are pricey and out of my range. Also, I like TT's interface over the basic, simple "Where To?" of Garmin's.

>> The Nuvi's are a great

I found that all Garmin users claim their GPS great. But in what sense ?
I found the Nuvi superiority is only the slim size , that's it.
Garmin search is dumb (Magellan & Delorme are even dumber ...) like Yahoo compare to Google (TomTom - that is :D ).

Planning, rerouting, screen refresh ... everything is faster on a TomTom, thanks to Linux. And because of open source, plenty of people write (especially in Europe) utilities for TomTom.

I don't mind buying a Garmin if the price is 90% of an equivalent of a TomTom model. A Nuvi 660 for 750$ against a 500$ Go 910, it should be nut to choose a Nuvi.

Last edited:
And alot of Garmin users bragged that the Navteq maps are more updated in the US, and I honestly don't think that's the case anymore. At least not in my area. Before I sold the Nuvi 660, I had it and the ONE at the same time. My brother's 4 year old neighborhood was listed in the TT but not in the Nuvi.

I couldn't agree more, I was extremely disappointed that the 660 could not navigate to my brother's house (but extremely pleased that the TT could!)

I had the Garmin 680 for a few days before buying the TomTom (the Nuvi had a burned out pixel).

680 NUVI Pros

- POI Database is more complete and up to date.
- POI's show address and phone number immediately when selected.
- Handsfree calling through FM radio (as well as voice navigation)
- Ability to change zoom level of maps, and stay there
- Fast navigation of maps without having to go through menus
- Ability to redirect to a via point without losing initial destination
- MSN traffic and weather forecast and conditions
- Customer support is FANTASTIC. Three calls placed within the first couple days were answered by a person within 30 seconds, and handled well.
- Mounting systems are smart.
- Screen is excellent for brightness in daytime.
- Audible feedback when pressing any on-screen button (ie. a gentle "blip")
- Slim

680 NUVI Cons

- Over-simplified interface; basic info on how many hours and miles to final destination not displayed. The main navigation window cannot be customized.
- Search engine is extremely slow when looking for POI's. Some POI's will send the 660/680 into a minutes-long tailspin. This happened several times.
- While subjective, the map interface is a bit cartoonish and not as easy to sort out streets.
- Preferences are next to none; there is no map customization or choice of backgrounds. Day screens are a stark white (easier to see, but rather bland).
- Screen refresh is much slower than the TomTom.
- Voice recognition software is so-so; built-in speaker not as good as TomTom or Magellan.
- No smart spell; Magellan will blank out letters: best; the TomTom will begin to partially list: second best; the Garmin will not feeback until you have reached the last possible match. If you're spelling is off, you have to wait or you may get a message saying no match, when in fact, it is just your spelling off.
- MSN does not cover Canada; the 680, then, is a waste of money there (unless the 660 provides FM transmission... I don't know).
- Way too much money.

TOMTOM 910 PROS

- Customization is the best of any GPS. The navigation screen gives every type of applicable info.
- Though subjective, the 3D navigation screen is most clear and map-like.
- Voice text to speech software is amazingly accurate and clear.
- Good speaker and choice of voices.
- POI searches will route you to a POI "along route." This feature takes out the guess work of how far off a route a POI is.
- Good Trip planning features.
- Ability to customize POI's and icons that the user inputs.
- Fast re-routing
- Docks on computer as a removable hard-drive making file transfers a breeze.
- Large hard drive (20Gb)
- Auto-zoom feature will re-frame map according to info needed.
- Competitive price for features.

TOMTOM 910 CONS

- POI database has some serious flaws: missing POI's, POI's which don't exist when you get there, or addresses which are up to a mile or two from where they should be. This is also the case with the NEW maps.
- Navigation, even on "Fastest route," will often take the user the shortest route, through winding streets, instead of using the freeway or main roads which would have been faster.
- Cannot search for an exit unlike all other GPS's.
- Menu navigation is not intuitive; selecting one feature often drops you out of preferences, instead of back to the last window.
- No audible button feeback.
- Dayscreen difficult to see in sunlight or when clothing reflects on screen. Far diimmer than the Garmin or Magellan.
- Mounting does not prevent vibration; no dashboard mount provided.
- Day/night sensor will quit working randomly; hooking up the unit to the PC/Mac software seems to reset it.
- Auto-zoom feature cannot be turned off; if user wants to have a more expanded viewpoint, for example, the TomTom won't permit it, but will zoom back in again. Bad, if you prefer to see a couple turns in advance instead of just one.
- Support via email is unresponsive. Phone support took 15 minutes to get through, but questions were answered.

SUMMARY:

If you like to customize your GPS, and prefer lots of info on the screen, the Garmin is a big disappointment. TomTom, on the other hand, while putting GPS features first and center over MP3 and photo gimmicks etc. is still struggling to provide reliable navigation with their marriage to Tele-Atlas. The latest maps are still hit and miss in North America, which really, is unacceptable. After all, this is what the unit is for.

Last edited:
Thanks for your write up, bobaloolie. Very informative. I've been curious about the 680 and MSN capabilities.

cool but bobaloolie, the 910 can redirect via a point without losing the destination that you said was a pro for the 660. Just click "Find Alternatives" and click "Travel Via"

Nextourer,

You are correct. Actually there are several ways to find a via point. The only thing I would like to see on the TomTom is some sort of a signal when you arrive there -- a beep, a voice comment -- something to let you know. I've missed the via point before because there was no indicator that I had arrived there.

However, I've never tried it via "Find Alternatives." Does this method produce some sort of audible indicator?

Last edited:
I think he was talking about text to speech, as the 910 does NOT have voice recognition software. But how cool would that be? :)

My mistake! I've changed it.

I believe I heard that there is a new GPS (Magellan Maestro?) coming out with this capability.

Nextourer,

You are correct. Actually there are several ways to find a via point. The only thing I would like to see on the TomTom is some sort of a signal when you arrive there -- a beep, a voice comment -- something to let you know. I've missed the via point before because there was no indicator that I had arrived there.

However, I've never tried it via "Find Alternatives." Does this method produce some sort of audible indicator?
ahh... ok

TT treats waypoints as.. well waypoints so it'll guide you there but will not give any warning. If you want to be warned, then you have to set it as a destination (and that's via Itinerary Planning)

Ask a Question