The dreaded red x

I have a Tom Tom one that I haven't used much, when I switch it on i'm getting the red x across the memory card sign. I have taken into Halfords store and they say I need a new card. Is this true? I have looked on the Tom Tom website and downloaded the free Tom Tom home thinking it might tell me something and from the instructions it tells me that i should be seeing something on the screen. All I can get is the red x. What do I need to do please. In english not double dutch LOL.The simpler the better.:eek:

Connect your unit to the computer (not Home)with the card in the unit and use Explorer to look at the contents of the card.

Do you see a bunch of folders and some loose files not in any folder? And is one of the folders something like Western_Europe? In other words, your map folder.

If so, use Explorer to make a backup of the card's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Now then, use Explorer to delete all the loose files on the card, NO folders or their contents.

Next, with the card in the unit, connect to Home. It should offer an application. Accept it and install. Now, disconnect the unit PROPERLY from Home using the Device disconnect icon on the bottom right of the screen.

Shut down Home completely and start up your unit. It hould boot up and say 'no maps found'. If so, that's good.

Next, connect to the computer (don't start Home) and use Explorer to copy back the map folder from your backup to the unit.

Disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Hardware Disconnect icon in your notification are (bottom right -- green arrow icon).

Restart the unit. Working ok now?

Ask a Question