Thanks for the great voice info

I am a new owner of a TT 720 and last night I found this forum. After reading how to install the "support_asr.dat" file in my ASR folder, I can use voice commands to enter new addresses. It works great. I would never have had this feature without the members inputs. Thanks again!!!

hi pismo,
its party time for 720 owners these days...hahahaa:D dont know how long is it going to last though... it is very much possible that in the next firmware update, the tomtom guys might screw the party!:(

Which is why it's a good idea to make sure you know where the firmware version 7.221 stuff is stored on your hard drive ... just in case.

yes, i didn't want to start a new thread to say this as well.

Thanks to the great members of this site for the info.
Definitely makes the TT exprience much richer for having this comunity.

:)

unable to get speech in the 720

What have I done wrong with this file.
support_asr.dat 1kb text document
this what I have in the asr file
it is a text document
unable to get speech to work thanks for the help
Do I need to delete this one and do up a different one
Used note pad maybe I saved it as the wrong file,
Thank Ray:mad:

What have I done wrong with this file.
support_asr.dat 1kb text document
this what I have in the asr file
it is a text document
unable to get speech to work thanks for the help
Do I need to delete this one and do up a different one
Used note pad maybe I saved it as the wrong file,
Thank Ray:mad:

In notepad, save as support_asr.dat and change "save as type" to "all files", not text document.

I have the voice commands in my display but they are not working .
is there something i can do to fix this. Do I just say a address, or a number
what should happen after I say a command? And is there a screen that pops up?
How do you check to see if this is working?

I have the voice commands in my display but they are not working .
is there something i can do to fix this. Do I just say a address, or a number
what should happen after I say a command? And is there a screen that pops up?
How do you check to see if this is working?

Besides the NA 7.10 map, the 7.221 firmware upgrade, the .dat file in the ASR folder, with the unit on, you go Navigate-->Address-->Spoken word (dialogue) and click on that icon. Have you done that?

voice file

ok im new to all this just got tt720 up dated to newest map
where do i find this "support_asr.dat" file and ASR folder, and how do i get this to work for voice :rolleyes:

ok im new to all this just got tt720 up dated to newest map
where do i find this "support_asr.dat" file and ASR folder, and how do i get this to work for voice :rolleyes:

You need to create a text file support_asr.dat and just put 1 in the file. Then copy it to the ASR directory on the unit.

You MUST have firmware version 7.221 AND North_America map version 7.10 for this to work.

yes firmware version 7.221 AND North_America map version 7.10 fo

Use Windows explorer or some other file manager to view all folders and files on your docked (and powered on) Tom tom 720 unit.

If you don't see a folder in the root of the unit called ASR, then create it.

Now, in the folder ASR, you create a text file using Notepad. Just put a 1 in it, nothing else. Save the file as support_asr.dat and make sure in Notepad when in the Save as screen, you have selected 'All files' as the file type.

Finally, to make sure, in Windows XP, goto Control Panel-->Folder Options-->View tab, and make sure the option under Advanced settings window for 'Hide extension for known file types' is UNCHECKED.

I have all the updates and the number 1 in asr folder what does the icon in at the bottom (lips)next to the back buttin it is gray when i touch it it goes blue when I speak nothing happens

app 7.220 (8571/040301) os:1000
gps v1.21 boot 1.0012
map north america 2gb v705.1481
hope this helps
what should happen when i say my address somthing pops up?
tomtom go 720
Thanks

Last edited:
DHN did not get a chance to try yet got busy last night will try tonight thanks again did not want you to think i got my answer and not reply:)

I have all the updates and the number 1 in asr folder what does the icon in at the bottom (lips)next to the back buttin it is gray when i touch it it goes blue when I speak nothing happens

app 7.220 (8571/040301) os:1000
gps v1.21 boot 1.0012
map north america 2gb v705.1481
hope this helps
what should happen when i say my address somthing pops up?
tomtom go 720
Thanks

Follow the threads, Sugar Ray....

You MUST have version 2.221 of the firmware and NA maps version 7.10. It appears you have neither!

I went to the tomtom website downloaded the latest files i thought
do i need to go some where other than tomtom?

Ask a Question