Hello and Goodbye. Thanks for the info

I am so glad I found this web site today. You guys are a great resource of up-to-date information, even better that what I got from e-mailing Tomtom.

Today I was at the local electronic superstore, just about ready to pull out the credit card for a brand new Tomtom 930 when the sales guy told me, in spite of what I have read on the consumer review sites, this model will not broadcast voice instructions over FM.:eek:

He then went on to say there are no Tomtoms that can do this.
I was shocked!!

Why is this guy lying to me... is he trying to get me to buy a Garmin?
Maybe he makes more commission off of those.
I was so angry with this guy; I gave him a few choice words and walked out of the store empty handed.

Then I searched and found this place and found out that I owe the guy at Best Buy an apology, I will deliver tomorrow when I pickup a 765T instead.

Last edited:
If you like everything else about the 930, including the far superior directions that only tomtom GOs can offer, then you may want to pay an additional $25 bucks for a line out -> FM modulator that serves as a good FM workaround. Eventually tomtom says they will bring the FM back via a software patch to the US/Australia, we'll see how long they take.

If you like everything else about the 930, including the far superior directions that only tomtom GOs can offer, then you may want to pay an additional $25 bucks for a line out -> FM modulator that serves as a good FM workaround. Eventually tomtom says they will bring the FM back via a software patch to the US/Australia, we'll see how long they take.

Thanks for the reply, but the more I read, the more I lose trust in Tomtom, which I always thought was an American company for some reason.
Now knowing they are based in Europe, it makes at least a bit more sense them reacting the way they did.

My take is there's a bit of jealously driving them to cut it off everywhere.
More of a ?If we can?t have it, no one can!? statement.

This all make me quite weary of how they will react to other European issues.

What happens if/when the EU says no front seat screen can show ANY moving picture while underway?

The way Tomtom reacts, this will mean voice only while driving for everyone. (and not through the FM transmitter)

I know? some people will think I?m overreacting to this, but I am also sure those same people would have never believed that Tomtom would disable the FM transmitter on their entire worldwide product line just because some idiots in the EU didn?t like it.

The ?other? brand is based in the US.
This explains why they didn?t overact and shoot themselves in the foot and why their FM Transmitter still works.

Maybe Tomtom will have this fixed in a couple of years. (I hope so)
By then, I'll be looking for a replacement to get the latest WiFi features that are being implemented now.

Cheers,

What happens if/when the EU says no front seat screen can show ANY moving picture while underway?

Hopefully the same this as happened to the Dodo ;)

Frankly, the way Brussels is, I can see those morons trying to introduce a no moving parts ruling as well - hence no steering wheel, no pedals, no speedo, tacho, etc etc etc... then they'll ban shoes as harmful to the environment due to the processes involved in manufacturing them, demand we all move to clogs, and then ban those too as harmful to trees :eek:

Kinda makes you wonder why the hell you got up in the morning, eh? ;)

Seriously though, I'd imagine that a "no moving pictures in the front" ruling would require the mandatory use of versions of the "safety screen" while in motion.

Ask a Question