Hello from North Wales UK

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gr1sshopper, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Gr1sshopper

Gr1sshopper

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 300, ONE 3 rd Edition & Rider
    Hi to you all

I am a Newbie from the Mountains of North Wales in the UK, I am retired now but was a mechanical engineer turned pilot.

You can tell from my aging TomTom products that I get the most out of the kit which still gives good service albeit with a bit of guess worked on the older maps/new roads. As a keen motorcyclist I have used a combination of TomTom and various add-ons apps to plan biker routes.

The recent week number clock rollover issue through a trusted old friend of mine into confusion, an old Nokia LD-3W gps receiver which I bluetoothed to various Linux distro laptops. Great little tool, took it everywhere and now dead !

Recently had issues with poor signal acquisition on the ONE and found the forum most helpful. Now I have the time to hopeful be a useful contributor.

Thanks for your time.

Gr1sshopper, Aug 21, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. Gr1sshopper

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    Welcome to TTF.

dhn, Aug 21, 2019
    Gr1sshopper likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gr1sshopper

Ian Administrator

Howdy @Gr1sshopper, welcome to the forums :).

Which aircraft do you fly? :D

Ian, Aug 24, 2019
  4. Gr1sshopper

Gr1sshopper

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 300, ONE 3 rd Edition & Rider
    Hi Ian
    Sorry for my delayed response, have had some computer issues. Thank you for your warm welcome, not sure I am in the correct section to continue this thread but as a newbie I hope I will be permitted to continue on this occasion.

As I said retired now but to answer your question. I have a respectable number of hours on 737's but much preferred the life as a jobbing general aviation pilot, this took me down the route of Short Skyvan, Britain Islander and Trilander and twin piston engine stuff. Exec and urgent freight work a lot more of interest to me than airline work, I liked the off the beaten track work. As an old colleague put it landing a 747 in a cross wind is boring, but do the same in a Tiger Moth that's flying.

No interest any more but still love the subject of navigation !

Dave

Gr1sshopper, Aug 27, 2019
    Ian likes this.
  5. Gr1sshopper

Ian Administrator

I can imagine they are indeed a lot more fun than 737s! :D

Ian, Sep 1, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question