Setup for 8GB SDHC card in 730....

TomTom Model(s)
GO730T
I wanted to add some voices (computer) and POIs to my 730 but after adding the 835 full POI files I don't have enough room. I ordered an 8GB SDHC card and while it is in transit I thought I would ask what would be the best way to arrange this card.

My plan is to move only the NA 2GB map folder out of the internal storage to the SD card. All of the current system files/folders and any voices that I add will be added to the internal memory.Any additional POIs will be added to the NA 2GB folder on the SD card. The remaining memory space on the 8GB card would be filled with MP3 files.

Does that sound like it will work or does someone have any suggestions on how to arrange this to make best use of space and avoid any problems in the future with upgrades and such?

That's what I've done with my SD. All the map folders and media stuff on the SD, all OS and other files and 3rd party applications in internal memory. Works fine, and I keep both NA and Europe on the SD together with the rest.

That sounds like a perfect arrangement, Spook.

I have a 4-gig card with my NA_2GB map on it. I have lots of room left on internal and the card if I wish, so you'll have LOTS on the card.

Start getting those mp3s in order! :)

Thanks canderson and dhn for the confirmation. Now all I have to do is find a way to compress 35GB of MP3 files down to about 6GB and still have them sound okay. :D

It arrived this afternoon so I will work on this tomorrow.

Thanks canderson and dhn for the confirmation. Now all I have to do is find a way to compress 35GB of MP3 files down to about 6GB and still have them sound okay. :D
Yikes ... at 128K sample rate, ~1MB per minute, 6GB available storage ... that's 100 hours of music. Planning a 4 day road trip?:rolleyes:

Seriously - if you figure a CD is at about 44K sample, you've already got 3X what you'd need for some decent tunes. But that still only takes your 35GB collection down to about 11GB. Time for a second 8GB card?

Time for a second 8GB card?

Funny you should say that, I did indeed order two 8GB SD cards. Actually though, 6GB equates to over 1K songs. Queue them up with shuffle and let them and the nav instructions play through the car stereo. Never have to go looking for a radio station again. And it is all music that my wife and I like with no commercials.

Ask a Question