new 730 setup

connected 730 to tom tom home on computer fine, added all updates ok, when hit the ( operate my go button ) a note comes up reading - this functionality is not yet supported for your combination of navigation device , your device's application version and your computers operating system. & thats as far as i can go

how do i get this supported ?

thanks

Was your 730 a new unit or obtained used or as a refurb?

What is your application and map version installed? (tap the satellite bars to see the application installed. Tap the version number to see the map and its version)

Well, I may have some bad news for you. There isn't a legitimate application for the 730 by that version number.

The current-- and has been for a while -- is 8.351.

I don't suppose you made a backup of your unit's contents when you first got the unit (hopefully with Explorer) did you?

Here's what I want you to do:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents now.
2. After doing so, and making sure your backup is on your computer, I want you to go here and download the proper application for your unit. Use WinRar to extract the contents to your unit and set WinRar to overwrite as necessary.

Once that is done and you have disconnected your unit properly from the computer (using the Hardware Device disconnect icon), then shut down and restart the unit.

Connect to Home and go to Tools-->Latest Map Guarantee. Hopefully, you'll be offered map 840.

If not call support at 866-486-6866. While ebay is not an authorized reseller of Tomtom units, you may get a friendly rep who will add the map to your account.

Last edited:
The reality is that some people ARE being offered that application which is meant for TomTom Work and its specific map, not the NA map and the 'regular' 730 model.

made a backup copy on my explorer, downloaded the file you gave me, saved file on my desktop, how do i use WinRar to extract file to the unit ? when i ckicked the right mouse button things came up -- send to tom tom f drive

thanks from a Hamilton boy

If you have WinRar installed then right clicking on the cab file should bring up a menu to Extract to and the drive would be that depicted by the TomTom unit. Make sure that 'overwrite files' is selected.

See the post on November 27th by SuperMod, Mikealder in this thread to give you an idea of what to expect when using WinRar.

thanks dhn

i guess i'm oft to the support desk, installed winrar, extracted file to unit, went to tools hit latest map guarentee came up ( your latest map guarantee has expired ) so i guess i'm toast, no more e-bay

thankyou for your time & great instructions

before i called the support line , i shut the unit off & on again, went back to tom tom home , went to latestest map update & there it was downloaded the 840 map & now i'm good to go, i don't know where yet but device is up to date withe version & map

thanks again

Well, I may have some bad news for you. There isn't a legitimate application for the 730 by that version number.

The current-- and has been for a while -- is 8.351.

8.393 is the latest application for the tomtomwork system on a 730. Must have been a corporate fleet device.

8.351 is the latest consumer application version.

To switch, you can just follow these steps in HOME. Same results as the manual winrar steps.

Ask a Question