Seemingly few POI ... disappointed

I've had in-car DVD based nav for a few years, from Infiniti and Lexus. I have also used the one the rental cars offer for $10/day.

I just got a TomTom One (2nd Edition) and it's very empty in terms of the number of POI's I can find on it. It has no UPS Stores, no Postnet, etc.

Is it possible to add all the normal yellow-page style listings so this thing is really useful?

Have a look in the POI areas in this forum as well as web search - there are a ton around and it is quite easy to add them with tomtom home or directly to the disk

There are tons of POI files available for download around the internet, and we also have lots here in the forum.

You can request a specific POI's in the Request forum and I'm sure people will help you out on that.

So you have to pick and choose what POI's to add in advance? I'm thinking more about adding every POI imaginable so that I'm always prepared for anything on the road. Like, "hey, where's a bagel shop around here?"
"I dunno, search for BAGEL"
"Oh there's three within 5 miles"

:)

So you have to pick and choose what POI's to add in advance? I'm thinking more about adding every POI imaginable so that I'm always prepared for anything on the road. Like, "hey, where's a bagel shop around here?"
"I dunno, search for BAGEL"
"Oh there's three within 5 miles"

:)

As you can imagine having EVERY SINGLE POI is very difficult and I don't think there is a device out there that has every single store, restaurant, parks, parking lot, banks, etc. due to shutting down, moving, or just being built.

The way the search works is by looking at the description i.e. Best Buy or Future Shop. If you search for the word BAGEL, it will pull up results with the word in it and it may not necessarily be a Bagel Shop.

If you want to load up your device with POI's you certainly can and grab the ones here on the forum.

I agree...I'm a contractor and traval around the area and I need to know where supply houses are...such as Home Depots, Lowes, Sherwin Williams, etc. This device doesn't have a single store like this listed......but I can tell you where a Ferry Terminal is. This thing is pretty much useless to me.

Yep. Other GPS I've used already have a virtual yellow pages defaulted in the system. None of this "load all burger kings manually" stuff I think I'm reading on the TomTom One.... what a pain.

I agree. I've added some POIs for certain chain stores, but it's impossible to get into the millions with that strategy.

There are plenty of data providers out there have have millions of businesses in nearly every category you can imagine (e.g. InfoUSA, plus a ton of smaller players).

Knowing that....why are there are no 3rd party providers of massive POI databases? It seems like there's a business model there - provide these databases in each of the major GPS formats. Thoughts?

Tim

Yep - other GPS don't require this sort of nonsense. They have millions straight from the factory - mom n pop restaurants, hardware stores, etc. TomTom One has almost nothing.

Poi

Although I'm very satisfied with my new TT1V3, the POI listings are really dissapointing. I'm from NJ and I wanted to find Sacred Heart Cathederal in Newark...the seat of the Newark Archdioces...and it was nowhere to be found in the POI listings. I had to add it in myself.

Ask a Question