Satelite Imagery gone

I had some difficulty installing the newest map version (710) for my TT 720. The support person at TT had me format the TT, do some other stuff which eventually led to me being able to get the new map installed. :) I have noted that the satelite imagery is no longer available. Why? Question: Is this something that one downloads? Can you grab it from the CD?

Thanks.

I had some difficulty installing the newest map version (710) for my TT 720. The support person at TT had me format the TT, do some other stuff which eventually led to me being able to get the new map installed. :) I have noted that the satelite imagery is no longer available. Why? Question: Is this something that one downloads? Can you grab it from the CD?

Thanks.
Hook your 720 up to your computer via the USB cable, ignore TomTom Home when it loads, open My Computer, and then open your 720 in Windows.

Take a peek in your 720 for a folder called "Raster". That should contain your satellite files. They will come in the form "usae-1_numbers,numbers.jpg" and "usae-1_numbers,numbers.sat". If they aren't there, you got shorted them during your map load. IF you were diligent and backed up your 720 to your PC's hard drive before doing the "other stuff", you should still have these, and if you have space, you can slide them back into your "Raster" folder on your 720.

If they ARE there, then I can't explain it. Zoom WAY out and be sure they don't magically appear.

I think I did the same thing, I deleted the satellite files to make room for the new map. I made a copy of the Tomtom720 on a seperate drive prior to doing anything. There are a bunch of files many of which are zipped. I tried to direct TomTom Home 2.1 to that directory and see if I could do a Restore from my computer and Home says there is no back up there. The zip files each contain two files, a data ##.chk file which is big and data##.vif file. Can anybody help me find out shich one contains the satellite photos so I can put them back on the TomTom manually, or is this a stupid idea?

Thanks

Roy

UPDATE: Never mind... I found them in the USA.ZIP folder

Last edited:
I didn't want to start a new thread for this as the conversation about deleating some files to make room for the new map version 710 is what I have questions about. My 720go is only 3 month old and I downloaded and installed NA map 710 without having to remove anything, infact I still have 200 megs of space available and I also have all the school POI's that others have said that TT deleated the files out of this map version for security reasons. Is my map 710 version different then what the new machines are coming with, or is the newer maps (same version) coming with more information than what I got 3 months ago?? It just seems odd that so many cannot fit the new map guarentee onto their TT's unless a bunch of files are dumped.

Richard

Is my map 710 version different then what the new machines are coming with, or is the newer maps (same version) coming with more information than what I got 3 months ago??

If your map is v710.1584, then you have up-to-date map. I bought my 720 about 2 weeks ago and it came with v705, so I am not sure how'd you get v710 with your unit 3 months ago... (I'm just going to assume that you've updated it).

As far as School POI goes, I made updates to my map (including QuickGSPfixes, MapShares, etc) and they still appear on my unit (TT Home shows it being 5.5MB). I just read about that issue and I am kind of indifferent: can see both sides, but for me I like to have set as a warrning (not b/c of kids, but b/c of the cops)... OK, that was a joke... :D

Hook your 720 up to your computer via the USB cable, ignore TomTom Home when it loads, open My Computer, and then open your 720 in Windows.

Take a peek in your 720 for a folder called "Raster". That should contain your satellite files. They will come in the form "usae-1_numbers,numbers.jpg" and "usae-1_numbers,numbers.sat". If they aren't there, you got shorted them during your map load. IF you were diligent and backed up your 720 to your PC's hard drive before doing the "other stuff", you should still have these, and if you have space, you can slide them back into your "Raster" folder on your 720.

If they ARE there, then I can't explain it. Zoom WAY out and be sure they don't magically appear.

Thanks canderson, this worked perfectly.

Ask a Question