Route Mapping Tool

LDR

I am preparing a trip using my TomTom GPS. Is there a tool that can be used so that I can send a copy of the route to a friend of mine who will be traveling with me? He does not have a GPS, therefore, I need to be able to send him something similar to what you can get from mapquest. I don't want to have to lay out the route twice. I have used the google function but it does not always work.

Tyre software, you use it to create your map, you send the result to your friend as email attachment. He have to download it too in order to see the email you send to him.

Search forum for tyre.

Have a nice trip.

I know this is an older thread, but in case anyone come across this page I thought I would share my approach.

Google maps is your friend: Google Maps

For those who do not know, Google Maps has some pretty great features. Rather than setting your start and end points via the address searching, I zoom in to the spot, right-click, and select "Directions from here" from the menu. Grab the green A marker and fine tune the placement. Do the same for your destination selecting "Directions to here".

Now the fun, and very powerful part. Obviously it will try and route you the quickest way. This usually involves silly freeways, and other over crowded roads-ways. Start with a nice wide view of your route. Click somewhere on the route line that was plotted for you, and drag it to a new location. A white circle will appear, that represents a new destination or via. You can continue to add and manipulate these to your hearts content. I tend to start wider, and gradually work my way into tighter zoom levels searching out the twistiest roads I can find. Be careful to ensure your marks are on the roads you intend. Also, take care to ensure enough marks to guarantee the route you want. I have noticed a limit to the marks you can place. You will recognize this when the route just starts drawing big straight lines cutting across the route. You will need to remove some, and rethink some of your marker placement. On long trips I tend to need separate maps for different legs, or days of the trip. I like lots of roads and turns, so I end up with a lot of markers.

When you have your route all laid out, click on the "Link to this page" link in the upper right corner of Google Maps. Copy the link it gives you, then navigate to this page:
Google to ITN

You can ignore the maps on this site, but notice at the very bottom a text field and a button labeled "Make ITN". Paste the Google Maps link you just copied into the field and click the button. Rather quickly a new ITN file will download to your computer.

Plug your TomTom unit into your computer or mount the SD card with a card reader device. Take the newly downloaded .itn file and place it in the itn folder at the root of the SD cards file system. This is important, and the only way they will show up on the TomTom.

Disconnect the TomTom from the computer and power it on. (This next part is from memory, as my TomTom is dead) From the device screens go into Route Planning, and select Options. You should see a button to Load Itinerary. Touch the button, and you should be presented with a list of saved itinerary files. You should see the file name of the .itn file that you copied over. Select it to load this itinerary. Your device may prompt you to choose Fastest/Shortest ect. Start with Shortest and check that the directions that the TomTom created match your intended route. If not, you may need to try either Fastest routing. If that still did not do it, go back to the Goole map link and add a couple more destination markers by dragging out a few more white dots, and rebuild the ITN file.

All in all this one of the best methods for route creation of any form I have ever used. The best part is you can do it on any platform (I write Mac software, and don't touch windows anymore). You also have the benefits of Google Maps other features like the Terrain View for checking altitudes and finding those canyon roads. Or the satellite views for checking if the road you want to take is paved or dirt (saved my ass a few times).

It is great for complex routes, and I think far better than any other GPS units provide. However, I am exploring new options now, as I am never purchase another TomTom unit.

Have fun.

Last edited:
wififun;60466
Posts such as this is always needed, no matter if it is an old thread or a new one. There is always people who have tried over and over to get routing down to a fine art but cannot even even get a rough one onto their GPS. I do have ever think you should have went into more detail as to how to load the itinerary on the GPS itself. Also how to find it or bring it up once it is on the GPS. Don't laugh, I have three that I can't find. I am 73 years old and electronics is not exactly my specialty.

Thanks for the heads up

Wififun, that was a great post. This is just what I needed for my complicated routing requirements. You have helped me tremendously!

Hondo: awesome, glad it helped.

thad: I have made some updates to the original post with your suggestions.

Sadly, I was planning on making a screen-cast (screen capture video demonstration for those over 70 :) ) of how to do this, but my TomTom is out of commission.

I just got of the phone with a ghastly conversation with TomTom support, and quite frankly can not stomach dealing with TomTom quite ever again. Absolutely useless and rude support. My rider will be making a trip to the ciry dump shortly, and thus my ambition to have anything further to do with them.

wififun

I am so sorry you are having a tough time with support. I cant seem to get them to send me the right battery. I just got the third one and the plug is different, and they have canceled my warranty -- snicker. it has laid around here so long I am just hoping I haven't lost any of the screws hehe-send me your battery before chucking it.

Sadly, several riders around here have decided to go with Magellan instead of tom-tom for their new purchases. I am not ready to purchase a new product at this time, so I'll have make do and make up my mind at a later date. I have already had to do without it all season, I am wondering how much longer I will have to do without it before I get the correct battery.

I wish to thank you for your help and can only wish you the best of luck. It would seem we are having a new revolution between corporate and consumer relationships.

When I hit MAKE ITN file, it blanks out that particular frame and nothing happens. I was expecting a download box. I have tried with Firefox and IE7.

Never mind. I figured it out. Must move Start and End points before the Get Link stage.

When I hit MAKE ITN file, it blanks out that particular frame and nothing happens. I was expecting a download box. I have tried with Firefox and IE7.

Hey, i hope i can help. I use Harley Davidson Ride planner to make my routes now, Google maps has some issues im not happy about. Anyway, I plan my route with HD rider now, then save it manually to my pc as a GPX file. Then i use ITNconv.exe to change it over to an itn file. Also, in ITNconv, i can edit it even more. Ive found the best way to lay out the route in HD planner is use destinations instead of waypoints. Also, you can share the route (as a gpx though) right from the site. Also again.... you can upload from your computer a gpx file into Harley Planner. ITNconv can convert from itn to gpx, too.
Sorry if this all sounds confusing, hope it helps. How many times did i say also?:rolleyes:

Oh another point. You still should compare how the route looks on your TT to how it looks when you build it with whatever program you used. TT sometimes makes a few different turns, and youll need to move around destinations to force the TT to make the exact route you want. I view the routes by maps and manually go through it all comparing side by side.:)

I know this is an older thread, but in case anyone come across this page I thought I would share my approach.

Google maps is your friend: Google Maps

For those who do not know, Google Maps has some pretty great features. Rather than setting your start and end points via the address searching, I zoom in to the spot, right-click, and select "Directions from here" from the menu. Grab the green A marker and fine tune the placement. Do the same for your destination selecting "Directions to here".

Now the fun, and very powerful part. Obviously it will try and route you the quickest way. This usually involves silly freeways, and other over crowded roads-ways. Start with a nice wide view of your route. Click somewhere on the route line that was plotted for you, and drag it to a new location. A white circle will appear, that represents a new destination or via. You can continue to add and manipulate these to your hearts content. I tend to start wider, and gradually work my way into tighter zoom levels searching out the twistiest roads I can find. Be careful to ensure your marks are on the roads you intend. Also, take care to ensure enough marks to guarantee the route you want. I have noticed a limit to the marks you can place. You will recognize this when the route just starts drawing big straight lines cutting across the route. You will need to remove some, and rethink some of your marker placement. On long trips I tend to need separate maps for different legs, or days of the trip. I like lots of roads and turns, so I end up with a lot of markers.

When you have your route all laid out, click on the "Link to this page" link in the upper right corner of Google Maps. Copy the link it gives you, then navigate to this page:
Google to ITN

You can ignore the maps on this site, but notice at the very bottom a text field and a button labeled "Make ITN". Paste the Google Maps link you just copied into the field and click the button. Rather quickly a new ITN file will download to your computer.

Plug your TomTom unit into your computer or mount the SD card with a card reader device. Take the newly downloaded .itn file and place it in the itn folder at the root of the SD cards file system. This is important, and the only way they will show up on the TomTom.

Disconnect the TomTom from the computer and power it on. (This next part is from memory, as my TomTom is dead) From the device screens go into Route Planning, and select Options. You should see a button to Load Itinerary. Touch the button, and you should be presented with a list of saved itinerary files. You should see the file name of the .itn file that you copied over. Select it to load this itinerary. Your device may prompt you to choose Fastest/Shortest ect. Start with Shortest and check that the directions that the TomTom created match your intended route. If not, you may need to try either Fastest routing. If that still did not do it, go back to the Goole map link and add a couple more destination markers by dragging out a few more white dots, and rebuild the ITN file.

All in all this one of the best methods for route creation of any form I have ever used. The best part is you can do it on any platform (I write Mac software, and don't touch windows anymore). You also have the benefits of Google Maps other features like the Terrain View for checking altitudes and finding those canyon roads. Or the satellite views for checking if the road you want to take is paved or dirt (saved my ass a few times).

It is great for complex routes, and I think far better than any other GPS units provide. However, I am exploring new options now, as I am never purchase another TomTom unit.

Have fun.

Just come across this site & this link - brilliant, just printed off you instructions & followed it through & all appears well.

This is very useful as the infamous TT support guys inform me that the route planning function in TT Home 2.3 does not work with my version 7 maps and I would have to wait for TT home to be updated & the issues resolved before this function would be available to me.

Thanks once again

Pete :D

Never mind. I figured it out. Must move Start and End points before the Get Link stage.
I made a short open ended test trip and I get the same "blank" area below the map.
A system search shows no new ITN.

What am I doing wrong?

Ask a Question